PDA

View Full Version : Converting an 88 frame

mechman
02-10-2009, 10:22 PM
Hey there everyone, I have a question that may seem to be a newbie one, but... well... I never paid too much attention to the frame differences when I worked at the Rover shop, because I hadn't had to do a LHD/RHD conversion on a Series truck. Most of ours were ex-NATO and set up for either, anyway. Sooo...

As some of you may know, I have a 1960 Series II NADA 88", LHD of course. It is in dire need of a frame. In fact, I'm not sure HOW it's still in one piece, it's that bad.

My finances are not exactly in great shape, due to a recent (and ongoing but getting better) illness (bad kidney infection and a failing gall bladder). On a good note, I AM expecting a nice refund check sometime next week, but it's not enough for a shiny new galvy frame for my rig. RATS!!

I have, however, found a nice, good used RHD 88' frame at a price that I CAN afford, and within driving distance. I WANT IT!! Just the thought of being able to drive my rig before the end of summer REALLY excites me.

SO, what would I have to change on a RHD frame to make it compatible with my LHD rig? AFAIK, the steering sector area on my LHD frame is still useable, and I do have all of the LHD specific parts (steering box, hand brake lever, etc.), though my rails, front horns and rear crossmember are toast. I'm a decent chassis welder, too. What are the other differences? I don't want to pull my truck down to the bare frame without having the "new" one ready to go.

I know this was the "done thing" back in the day, before new frames were widely available. HELP!!!

Mech

Bertha
02-11-2009, 06:39 AM
Other than the steering relay placement, the frames are the same. Since you have a LHD truck already, you have all the expensive and hard to find stuff-steering box, steering arms, steering box bracket, lhd shift lever etc. You will need to cut a hole for the steering relay on the left side of the frame. Make sure you drop in(weld) a sleeve, after cutting the hole, and you should be good to go.

Leslie
02-11-2009, 07:47 AM
Bertha's pegged it, you need to add the tube to hold the steering relay, and every othe rbit should bolt over. (Most new replacement chassis now come w/ holes on both sides so they can go either way.....)

yorker
02-11-2009, 08:41 AM
or you could convert the IIa to RHD and become a rural delivery postman... :D

mechman
02-11-2009, 09:42 AM
VERY cool, thanks a million for the info, guys!

The ex-MOD trucks that I'd worked on had been set up with relay holes in both sides of the frame, so that the frames were universal for LHD and RHD. I never did have to convert a truck, however (came close once, but the boss decided we didn't have the time). Just the thought of moving over the dash wiring on one of those FFR Series III 109's still gives me the shaking sweats.

I do enjoy driving the RHD trucks, but at the same time I like being able to grab a ticket at the turnpike tollbooth without climbing. And I already work for the Census Bureau, one government job is enough! :D

I can see myself driving it already... Gotta call on that frame! :thumb-up:

Mech