PDA

View Full Version : Steering Boxes

Jim-ME
02-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Is there any way a Series 3 steering box can be modified to use the banjo type steering wheel?
Thanks,
Jim

MerlynIIa
02-13-2009, 07:34 AM
I would like to know if anyone has tried this also. I have a nice banjo wheel that would look good in my Series III, if it will fit.

greenmeanie
02-13-2009, 09:27 AM
All it takes is time, money and, if you are lucky, skill for anything like that. The box and scroll at the base of the column are the same but the outer column and top of the inner column are different. Obviously you are interested in the spline at the top to mount the steering wheel.

The late IIA/III columns use a bearing as the upper support just under the steering wheel while the earlier ones use a bushing. You'd need to get the earlier IIa column and measure the diameter at this point. You might find the diameter is the same in which case it is simply a matter of a rebuild using the early column. If they are not then you need to change the diameter by sleeving or turning it down.

There are plenty of methods to slice, dice, chop and join it to work. After all it is just metal.

S11A
02-13-2009, 11:29 AM
I can't add anything to the discussion about diameter and splining, but if these are different between the series, then you might look into a quick-release steering hub. These are meant to attach to a steering wheel that has multiple bolt holes but someone might make these or a non-release device to adapt between different spline sizes and shaft diameter.

Plus you could take the wheel with you for instant ant-theft protection :)

jp-
02-13-2009, 01:04 PM
It won't be easy. I posted a photo in another thread showing the two columns side by side. SII has larger diameter splines, SIIA has smaller splines.

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5060&highlight=steering+column

MerlynIIa
02-14-2009, 09:46 AM
I'm a bit confused and checking here. the post with the comparison photos are between a II and a IIa? What about between a IIa and a III? my banjo wheel is in a '65 IIa and I would love to put it in a '73/74 III. Is the IIa banjo column in mine the same as the II, while the IIa in the photo is a late IIa, like the III?

LaneRover
02-14-2009, 10:09 AM
I believe that late IIA and III where the same. If the foggy recesses of my brain are correct the change from the banjo to the plastic steering wheel happened in '66 or so...

Eric W S
02-14-2009, 11:09 AM
I believe that late IIA and III where the same. If the foggy recesses of my brain are correct the change from the banjo to the plastic steering wheel happened in '66 or so...

Nothing is written in stone as far as rovers are concerned. My 66 has a banjo wheel. . .

leafsprung
02-14-2009, 11:19 AM
Ive done it. Its just as easy to swap in a earlier box (which I have if anyone needs)

greenmeanie
02-14-2009, 12:03 PM
Ike,
For those interested in the modicum of security it provides, can the earlier box/column be modified to retain the steering lock?

leafsprung
02-14-2009, 12:51 PM
I assume you mean the late box. You can do two things. Graft the top of an early shaft to a late one or replicate the lock recess in an early column.

MerlynIIa
02-22-2009, 08:21 AM
I am curious leafsprung, when you changed out the column, did you use the old turn signel with the rubber wheel and a separate ignition switch or were you able to use the plastic column surround with ignition and turnsignal from the III on the IIa column?