PDA

View Full Version : Violent Vibrations

discodaddi
01-14-2007, 09:34 AM
My 1996 Disco vibratesin a consistant pattern on and off at 3 second intervals between 55-65 mph. After 65 mph vibration is still there but not as bad but very obivious. If brake hard above 65 vibration is almost uncontrollable. I have aligned, balanced tires, bought new rim. Help me!!!!:eek: :(

fruitpunch
01-14-2007, 12:32 PM
Propshafts ? did you have a look at them ? Tire Size ? Lifted ?

landrover77
03-15-2007, 06:14 PM
How old are the tyres? Could need replacing.

MY 1995 Disco will Vib from time to time in that interval.
I've read that the driveline U-joint can wear, causing that Symptom.
Though (for me) its at lower speed 5-25 mph. And rarely apparent,
which isn't to say that you dont have a worse case of this?

The other thing worth mentioning based on the fact that your vibing and braking are likely connected: you could have rotor/brake pad issues:
a stick or metal "flake" (for lack of a better word) in your pad or stuck on
your rotor(s). Which at least in my mind seems logical to cause brake
and Vibrations particularly at high speed.

Lastly, take notice at lower speed. Is anything different?
Does one side or tyre react differnt to braking?
Good Luck!

singingcamel
03-16-2007, 09:39 AM
could also be your tie rod ends. wobble when going over bumps?is it in the steering wheel or the whole truck?

Rafterman
04-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Hi all,

Fist post here, just buying a '95 Disco and I am stoked, but I noticed in the test drive a shimmy in the steering wheel right around 100 kmph on the highway - it seemed to fade at 110 kmph. I'm getting new Avon's put on it but if it persists I wonder what to look at that might be causing the problem.
Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Rafe Arnott
Vancouver, Canada

Pleco
04-10-2007, 05:43 AM
Hello There.

With any of the disco 1s, first check the condition of your roto flex joint on the rear driveshaft at the diff side. If this is cracked, replace it and the vibes should be gone. Then check wheel balancing and the rest of the suspension system.

rover@mototrip.com
09-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Hi,

I had the same problem with my girlfriend DI 97.
Here's what we had to change :
- 4 radius arm bushings
- 2 panhard bushings
- tires (take special attention not to buy cheap tires with poor side wall support)
- rebuilt the power stearing box.

-Luc

joshua.mcguoirk
10-01-2007, 11:34 AM
I've had this issue. I checked all bushings as previous posters stated and found that the steering damper was bad. I replaced the damper and have had no issues. Panhard rod bushings with also give you these symptoms. I have found the most success with LR bushings. I tried the OME yellow Poly and these failed after about 50 miles.

Lucas has since been upgraded to a D90 drag link with the OME damper located IFO axle up high with aftermarket crossover.

Next on my list are tie rod ends. Boo Hoo.

KeithFisher
11-23-2007, 04:19 PM
My 1996 Disco vibratesin a consistant pattern on and off at 3 second intervals between 55-65 mph. After 65 mph vibration is still there but not as bad but very obivious. If brake hard above 65 vibration is almost uncontrollable. I have aligned, balanced tires, bought new rim. Help me!!!!:eek: :(

Patterns, speeds and changes on braking: CV joints first then tie rods.

rover@mototrip.com
09-29-2008, 02:05 PM
-Stearing damper changer as well.

*** Sept 2008 ***
The truck is starting to shake again...the only thing I haven't played with is
the swivels. ( shims and bearings )...

JohnMc64
10-01-2008, 01:19 AM
With my 1995 Disco, I use to get terrible vibrations at highway speeds AND if I passed over railroad tracks or a nasty dip or bump on the highway.

At first, i thought it was the steering damper. Swap it out only to find the problem came back soon after. I then checked the shocks and found that they needed to be replaced. After the shocks were changed I never had the terrible vibrations again - and that's been over 7 years and 300,000kms later.

I'd go with OME shocks if I were you.

JohnMc

redroverII
10-05-2008, 07:35 PM
All I did was change my tires and it went away for about 6 months now......the dealership wanted to do this and that for $$$$$$ and all it was, was the tires!

KSMTAW
10-06-2008, 04:58 AM
If the pan-hard rod bolts are loose it will vibrate or shimmy back and forth whenyou go over bumps and rough road. I replaced the pan-hard bushings a few months ago. After a few hundred miles of driving, I had to re-tourqe the pan-hard bolts. They had come a little loose- not much, but enough to allow a little wheel shimmy over rough road.

At least that is what I think. Good luck.

Todd

rover@mototrip.com
10-14-2008, 09:15 AM
*** Problem 50% fixed ***

Hi all,

last friday, I removed a thin shim from the the driver's side swivel pin, refit everything, and went for a test drive outside the city streets, in the country side. (For thoses who knows how bad are our country roads in Quebec...)
Well, the truck isn't shaking as much as it used to...I'll do the same next week on the right hand side of the truck and I'm pretty sure the problem will be gone.

Here's a good tutorial.
http://www.fag.hiof.no/~frodehaa/swivelpinpreload.htm

Enjoy,

-Luc

Les Parker
10-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Luc,

Good article.
Thanks for the link.

:thumb-up:

spacemutt
11-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Prop doughnut is a favourite. They split. I've seen some horendous ones in the workshop. You can change the diff input flange for a 200tdi version and convert it to the earlier Hardy Spicer propshaft.

spacemutt
11-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Hmm...I seem to have missed the second page to this thread. :p