PDA

View Full Version : Brownchurch rack

Nill
02-15-2009, 08:59 PM
Anyone here have any experience with the brownchurch rack? I am contemplating the purchase... maybe another vendor besides our host? or another option... I like it because it is galvanized.

Also parabolic leafs and a Fairey OD are on top of the list (above the rack). Heard the RN paras have a hanging helper... not a fan of this option. Anyone know another source for these?

east high
02-15-2009, 11:15 PM
Great Basin Rovers is said to be waiting on a shipment of Heystee Parabolics to arrive in March. I'm holding out for a set of these.

Eric W S
02-16-2009, 07:43 AM
Great Basin is always waiting for something. Gears, lockers, ...:D

PO put these on along with the their grease-able bushings. I like it for now...

Blueboy
02-16-2009, 07:55 AM
Anyone here have any experience with the brownchurch rack

I had one on the Rangie for a few years and it held up well.

It was the same one as shown on our host's site.

Had to recoat the "legs" after awhile, yet, the rack itself was fine.

Worked great.

Jaime

Andrew IIA
02-16-2009, 08:01 AM
Anyone here have any experience with the brownchurch rack? I am contemplating the purchase... maybe another vendor besides our host? or another option... I like it because it is galvanized.

Also parabolic leafs and a Fairey OD are on top of the list (above the rack). Heard the RN paras have a hanging helper... not a fan of this option. Anyone know another source for these?

I love my Brownchurch rack; built well and very useful. Got it from RN.

The RN springs do not have the hanging helper, see this thread: http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5676

Best Regards, Andrew
'63 SIIA 88"

TedW
02-16-2009, 08:37 AM

I am very pleased with my RN paras. They do NOT have helper springs. Also, they show no signs of any rust, which is truly amazing given that
1. I live on the ocean, and
2. Road salt is used with reckless abandon in this state.

Nill
02-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Looks like I will be going with RN's leafs w/ OME shocks then. I love OME kit, good stuff. If I can sell one of my other toys it will be a BrownChurch Rack for me as well.

I grew up playing in a Jeep, and like my jeep, this toy seems to be consuming paychecks faster than I can generate them. But who cares.

I would love to see some pics of a brownchurch on a series. Especially the one with the 4 place NATO can holders.

Andrew IIA
02-16-2009, 02:19 PM
No jerry can holders, but here's Series w/ Brownchurch rack pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skunkalley/sets/72157610584998247/detail/

Best Regards, Andrew
'63 SIIA 88"

Nill
02-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Andrew you sold me on it. That is a nice rig you have, I like that fact that you take her out and play with her. Good on ya!:thumb-up:

Daurie
02-16-2009, 04:05 PM
http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g72/Daurie/Land%20Rover/

There are some pictures of my Brownchurch in here. You may have to browse through a couple pages to see them all. :thumb-up:

Myron
02-17-2009, 07:09 PM
Daurie,

Cool Rover. Did you use the 4xRac to mount your Hi-Lift?

Does anyone know of other ways?

Thanks,

Myron

Andrew IIA
02-18-2009, 07:54 AM
My Hi-Lift is Bungee'd to the inside of the Brownchurch rack :cool:

Regards, Andrew

Daurie
02-18-2009, 09:52 PM
That is a hi-lift mount on the rack. IIRC I used some u bolts and positioned the bracket so it was partly on one of the vertical tubes to hold it solidly square. The rear mount is a quickly put together home-made one. :rolleyes: Cant go wrong with the Brownchurch if you ask me.

luckyjoe
02-19-2009, 10:01 AM
There are some pictures of my Brownchurch in here.

What are the vertical stays along the back? Are these standard Brownchurch features? They do not appear to be on the Brownchurch racks offerd by RN, nor are they on Andrew's rack.

Also, can you flip the 88" full rack around so that the three supports are behind a 109" alpine glass? If not, there doesn;t seem to be an aesthetically pleasing 3/4 109" w/alpines solution...

Regards,

Daurie
02-19-2009, 07:15 PM
The uprights are brownchurch accessories I assume. They are intended to move some of the load off the roof. The ones in the back I would use but I won't put the ones back on the front because I think they caused some fatigue cracks in the window hinge mount.

willincalgary
02-19-2009, 09:33 PM
No jerry can holders, but here's Series w/ Brownchurch rack pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skunkalley/sets/72157610584998247/detail/

Best Regards, Andrew
'63 SIIA 88"

That is a great looking rig. I love the rack maybe someday when the vehicle is running well and I've run out of need to do projects.......

spacemutt
02-20-2009, 06:38 AM
This rack came with my SIII. I liked it so much I swapped it on to my 110 before I sold the Series. I've had to for years and it's carried everything from boats to a bathroom suite. I have since decked it with ply to make it easier to walk on.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2191/2081308137_1748919316_o.jpg

Nill
02-20-2009, 06:39 PM
Also, can you flip the 88" full rack around so that the three supports are behind a 109" alpine glass?
Regards,

After looking at many different racks I would hypothesize that one could use this rack flipped around, however I do not think it would be long enough to come to the rear of the vehicle whilst still lining up with the window openings. This is only a guess, but I am sure you could get some measurements on that and confirm it.

Another idea would be to ask our host for a rack that meets your specs, as they do build them...

After much mental debate I have decided on a brownchurch with ladder (no 4 place NATO can holders) I did not like where the can holders where located. Hopefully the rack is here when I get back from Thailand. That gives RN a month... Hope that is enough time guys.

Myron
03-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Hi Daurie,

I got to looking at your Photobucket pictures again, and your Rover is really great. I was wondering what kind of front seats you have there (Exmoor?) and what type and size tire you run. In one pic it looks like a BFG MT but in others it looks like something a bit tamer. What's your preferred tire size?

Thanks,

Myron
64 IIA 88

Daurie
03-03-2009, 09:05 AM
Those seats were in there when I got the truck. I think they are the exmoor highbacks.

The tires are BFG MT KM2 tires. 235/85-16 They do just as well if not better in mud IMO. The tread is similar to the krawler TA so I would assume they are better on rock than the standard MT. Either way I like them alot and they ride good for an aggressive MT.

Thanks for the compliments. :thumb-up:

vkjar
03-03-2009, 10:39 AM
How do the brownchurch racks compare to the RN racks? Other than price!

TSR53
03-03-2009, 11:59 AM
How do the brownchurch racks compare to the RN racks? Other than price!

Rovers North roof racks are hand-built from stainless steel to your specifications and or configuration needs. Many options are available.
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/images/product/large/LR-page91.1.jpg

Brownchurch racks are galvanized steel (as shown on the Defender 90 below) or black powdercoated round tubing.
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/images/product/large/LR-page92.1.jpg