PDA

View Full Version : This came out with my transmission oil!

willincalgary
02-16-2009, 07:38 PM
As long as I've had my SII 88" it's popped out of 2nd as soon as you coast. Today when I changed the transmission oil out I found the item in the photograph at the bottom of the oil. I am speculating (because I've never seen this piece before) that it is item 17 page 7-C of the green bible "Split ring for 2nd speed layshaft gear (early gearboxes)". Can anyone confirm this and is this common for these things to eject themselves? I find it highly likely this is the reason for my gearbox troubles but would also like to confirm that. Is this an easy fix for somebody willing to dig into a gearbox (not me)?

4flattires
02-16-2009, 08:10 PM
1. I have seen that stuff before, it looks different in the US than in Canada though.

2. Is it common? Naw...never seen coin that clean in a gearbox or motor for that fact. Most of mine is behind the seat cushions and slid down behind the dash. It gets all funky after years of sitting in the elements.

2a (get it?) 2a? Not 3. Will someone dig into it? Probably for larger denominations. I usually wont dig into gearboxes for less than a Benjamin ($100 US). Shaking the Rover while upside down might get some immediate results of coins ejecting or fluttering bills.

Sorry....I just could not help myself once I saw this.

:D

Jeff

Jeff Aronson
02-16-2009, 08:11 PM
When a II or II-A gearbox won't stay in gear when you release the accelerator, it's usually because of either a worn syncho or that split ring. Something is obviously allowing movement; as this has been a long term problem for you, I'l bet you're right and the broken piece has finally dislodged itself into the case.

Once you've opened up the gearbox, you'll probably want to look at the gears and shafts themselves, and replace all the bearings.

I did a gearbox once myself [yes, they're that basic!] when mine stopped shifting between gears very effectively. I had a similar problem with mine popping out of gear under load [acceleration or deceleration]. If I can do that job, so can anyone! It takes time and labor for cleaning; it's pretty basic in its construction.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Jeff

Linus Tremaine
02-16-2009, 09:43 PM
There is a man who lives near me who repaired a broken ring with some really long needle nose pliers. I dont know where he went in from but I could ask more of him and see if it can be done easily. I had found one of those same rings in my oil, so that is why the subject came up. I havent done anything to fix mine yet!

59rover
02-17-2009, 07:13 AM
Grover, This same thing happened to my 59 series 11. This looks like the split ring for 2nd spd layshaft that comes out when there is too much free play on the shaft. This is not good news as it only gets worse. I pulled out my gearbox but it was too late as I drove it too long. The layshaft rear bearing fails and ruins the shaft. I upgraded my box to the larger & later layshaft. jim

willincalgary
02-17-2009, 08:22 AM
Grover, This same thing happened to my 59 series 11. This looks like the split ring for 2nd spd layshaft that comes out when there is too much free play on the shaft. This is not good news as it only gets worse. I pulled out my gearbox but it was too late as I drove it too long. The layshaft rear bearing fails and ruins the shaft. I upgraded my box to the larger & later layshaft. jim
This doesn't bode well as I've been driving it like this for two years! I've always had it in my mind to upgrade to the SIII full syncro box which probably helps explain my procrastination in fixing the current one. If it does deteriorate that might be the approach I take, replace rather than fix. Is the gearing the same in the SIII box or are my final drive ratios going to change??

Linus Tremaine
02-17-2009, 09:42 AM
I belive that the gear cluster can get stuck leaving you with only two gears.

Jeff Aronson
02-17-2009, 10:09 AM
The final driver gearing is the same on the Series III box as the Series II/II-A. You will get sychromesh in all gears with the newer box,

Jeff

59rover
02-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Replacement would be the option if you cannot rebuild with friends or yourself. And yes , I agree you will end up with 3rd/4th and reverse if lucky. That's were I ended up. I think that 1st & reverse gear ratios are slightly different in series 111's but 2nd, 3rd & 4th are the same. jim

BackInA88
02-17-2009, 04:28 PM
You can even use the SIII gear box with your current SII bell housing and clutch mechanism, just need to change a couple things around. That's the way I did mine as I didn't want to notch my original rust free frame to clear the SIII clutch slave cylinder.

Steve