PDA

View Full Version : Marbles in my Speedo

willincalgary
02-17-2009, 01:18 PM
That title should get peoples attention!

My speedo is making a lot of noise. Sounds like marbles clanging around in there when you get past 45MPH. By 65MPH it's quite noisy and is competing quite well with the tire, wind and drivetrain noise. Is this fixable?

Jeff Aronson
02-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Is the needle jumping around at high speed? If you're lucky, it's a cable lacking lubrication. Remove the end from the rear of the speedometer and pump in graphic lubricant into the housing. You can put a tiny amount of light oil on the speedo head, too.

If not, then the speedometer can be repaired professionally through Rovers North. I've had mine done, but most of the time, the problem with noise is in the cable.

Jeff

I Leak Oil
02-17-2009, 03:16 PM
Most likely the cable. I've replaced mine twice over the years. Both times they made noise at the speedo, then shortly after they broke.
Jason T.

CliftonRover
02-17-2009, 04:24 PM
sometimes the inner part of the cable slips its way up pushing further into the speedo than intended. I would check the connection on the back of the speedo and do what they said, lubricate it and check to make sure the inner cable is not pushing too far into the speedo.

ChrisB
02-18-2009, 02:16 PM
It might also be that the glass over the speedo face is loose. I pulled off the instrument panel to do some electrical work and it somehow loosened the glass. It rattled only when I got up to warp speed.

willincalgary
02-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Is the needle jumping around at high speed? If you're lucky, it's a cable lacking lubrication. Remove the end from the rear of the speedometer and pump in graphic lubricant into the housing. You can put a tiny amount of light oil on the speedo head, too.

If not, then the speedometer can be repaired professionally through Rovers North. I've had mine done, but most of the time, the problem with noise is in the cable.

Jeff

The needle does jump around at high speed. It also doesn't register anything below ~5MPH. I'll pull the speedo and try this shortly.
Thanks,
Will