PDA

View Full Version : Chugging sound from a 2.25 diesel

Hawaii_SIII
02-18-2009, 01:33 AM
My 2.25 diesel has developed a chugging sound that varies with engine RPM. It sounds like it is coming from the front of the engine but I can't completely isolate it. I have an audio file of the engine at idle and at high idle on the hand throttle. I checked the valve spacing a few weeks ago and made sure they were all 0.10". Any ideas what the sound could be? I can PM the audio files since i can't post them here.

SafeAirOne
02-18-2009, 07:08 AM
I've found my 2.5 to be noisy whenever any part of the air intake leaks or is removed. Have you examined the entire intake system (hoses inside and out, air filter and canister, etc) for leaks? I'd be curious to hear the noise....

Hawaii_SIII
02-18-2009, 09:49 AM
I recently replaced the hose from the canister to the intake manifold. The previous one had a sizable hole in it. The chugging was present prior to the hose changeout too. I also recently changed the intake/exhaust manifold gaskets and the chugging has been present both prior and after. Send me a PM with your email so I can send you the audio files.:thumb-up:

Nill
02-18-2009, 03:28 PM
where in HI are you located?

Hawaii_SIII
02-18-2009, 04:44 PM
I live and work on Oahu. I'm in the Navy and work at Pearl Harbor so I'm usually around Honolulu. Why do you ask?

Nill
02-18-2009, 10:34 PM
I'm moving down to Oahu this fall. I have had enough of this -50F weather up here. I will be at wheeler. Do you know any other series owners on the island? Is there a club around?

SafeAirOne
02-19-2009, 07:07 AM
I listened to the sound files...It sounds a lot like an exhaust leak. Check around the exhaust manifold and the exhaust manifold-to-downpipe joint.

Hawaii_SIII
02-20-2009, 08:43 PM
I tightened up all the bolts from the head to the manifold and from the manifold to the down pipe (I guess that's what it's called). Nothing too loose for the manifold-head bolts but all 4 manifold-pipe bolts were considerably loose. Black soot was also on the gasket. The chug-chug sound seemed to be better so I'm thinking a new metal gasket between the manifold and pipe is in order. I wonder if I can find one locally or if it is best to order from our hosts.

SafeAirOne
02-20-2009, 08:48 PM
The chug-chug sound seemed to be better so I'm thinking a new metal gasket between the manifold and pipe is in order. I wonder if I can find one locally or if it is best to order from our hosts.

If there is a leak, the gasket will burn out at the leak location. I don't know about the 2.25, but I just replaced the very same gasket in my 2.5 a week and a half ago. The gasket was available at my local parts store.

Hawaii_SIII
02-20-2009, 08:55 PM
when i had the manifold off to replace that gasket, the downpipe gasket looked ok; not great by anymeans but it was whole all the way around. When i was tightening the bolts, it didn't looked burned out at any one place. I'll look at the parts stores around here but order monday if i can't find one.