PDA

View Full Version : Hubs, stub axles, lugs etc..

MerlynIIa
02-18-2009, 06:43 AM
Hello all, I have a IIa parts vehicle and am working on my III to make a driver. I also have an old military trailer (see pic). with 2 vehicles, I have four spindles (stubs), 4 hubs etc. I was wanting to use a pair of the stub axles on the trailer to convert the wheels to Land Rover. I noticed that IIa's have an 1/8 inch smaller diameter lug than the III's. I did use IIa wheels to bring home the III. Is the only real problem with the interchangability of the lug nuts? I could get some new hubs for the III and use the old ones on the trailer, to keep uniform on the lugs but was unsure if I really needed to and could just use the old IIa hubs.

[IMG] http://www.flickr.com/photos/35396922@N06/3290443128/

Tim Smith
02-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Not sure I get it. The IIA and III should be interchangeable. If you are saying the lugnuts are different sizes then that might be an aftermarket lugnut on one VS the other.

I think you'de be good to go by using either axle but I may not be reading the question right.

leafsprung
02-19-2009, 10:11 AM
the lugs are different sizes from 2a-3 but they are interchangeable parts with the exception of the nuts which youve noted already

Tim Smith
02-19-2009, 11:11 AM
The lugs are different sizes? Huh.

Guess that is my lesson for the day.:thumb-up:

JSBriggs
02-19-2009, 10:57 PM
The series 3 lugnuts are 1-1/16" while the Series 2 are 15/16" There is a late 2A lugnut that is 1-1/16" that goes on to the the smaller stud.

Part# 576103 69-70 1-1/16"

while the lugnuts wouldnt be interchangeable for you, you would at least only need 1 lug wrench.

-Jeff

Edit: RNC480 is the Rovers North part#

On a related note, can anyone tell me why Rovers North doesn't use the factory part numbering system that the rest of the free world uses?

MerlynIIa
02-20-2009, 04:29 AM
Hi and thanks for the replies. sorry to be confusing. When I picked up my series III, I took my IIa wheels and lug nuts. the wheels had tires that would hold air and the lugs were "just in case. anyway, the lugs nuts would not fit. I kinda knew there could be a problem, as I had already bought an extra set of series III wheels (have been told they are wider than series IIa) The person who sold me the wheels told me they would work on the IIa but I should really upgrade to the larger nuts. I thought it was just the outside diameter, as in the late IIa nuts. I think I will get some late IIa lug nuts, because I can use my extra III wheels on the trailer and can still use the IIa hubs without having to pay the extra $$$ for new hubs. As JSBRIGGS noted I could carry one lug wrench. Maybe I could color code the nuts to keep them separate. I bet this is still confusing to some:confused: sounds like an old
Abbott and Constello routine!

Tim Smith
02-20-2009, 08:47 AM
Color code? Nah.
So long as you can avoid an Oh Fudge moment, you should be alright. :p

Link

MerlynIIa
02-22-2009, 07:45 AM
Maybe its me, but a lot of my work on the landies is filled with "Oh, fudge" moments!:)

Tim Smith
02-22-2009, 01:12 PM
Maybe its me, but a lot of my work on the landies is filled with "Oh, fudge" moments!:)Careful. Depending on the brand of soap you use, soap poisoning could be a side effect. :p