PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Problem

Jim-ME
02-18-2009, 12:00 PM
I replaced the clutch MC this weekend and all seemed well. Today I went to drive the Rover and at first all seemed OK but at a stop sign I depressed the clutch to stop which it did, put the gear lever into 2nd and let the clutch out and the Rover didn't move. I pumped the clutch several times and still couldn't get the clutch to engage. It let it sit for a few moments and the clutch did finally engage. I limped the Rover home and just bleed the slave but there wasn't any air to speak of. The MC is new as is the hard line to the flex line. The flex line and slave are about 1 year old. What did I do wrong and what do I do now.
Jim

Terrys
02-18-2009, 12:25 PM
Can't say for certain, but it sounds as though either the slave has junk up at end and the piston got stuck, or the lex line has gotten punky and wasn't letting the fluid back toward the MC when you let off the pedal. Maybe pull the slave, pop the piston out and have a look inside.

Paul Rossmann
02-18-2009, 03:16 PM
I had a similar problem when I installed a new MC. I was told there could be air trapped in the cylinder similar to a vapor lock that couldnt be bled out the normal way. I backed the hydraulic line fitting off a quarter turn and had someone slowly pump the clutch until fluid squirted out (wear safety goggles). Don't know why it couldn't be bled out any other way, but it did the trick.

Jim-ME
02-18-2009, 03:19 PM
I'll try the line at the MC first. I hope that does it because I really hate to tear the slave out. If that doesn't work I will start at the slave and work backwards. Thanks,
Jim

BackInA88
02-18-2009, 06:12 PM
I think I read about this problem before and it had something to do with the MC push rod being to long/incorrect??
I'll look around.

Steve

Jim-ME
02-18-2009, 06:46 PM
I probably shouldn't admit this to anyone here, but its kind of hard to have fluid flow freely if you've damn near tied the flex line in a knot trying to make sure the hard line doesn't leak. Once straightened out all is good again at least for the short ride I just took. Stupid, stupid, stupid me!
Jim

SafeAirOne
02-19-2009, 07:12 AM
I probably shouldn't admit this to anyone here, but its kind of hard to have fluid flow freely if you've damn near tied the flex line in a knot...

I wouldn't feel too bad, Jim---I'd rather find out I did something wrong and have it be an easy fix than find out I did everything right and it still doesn't work properly. ;)

Jeff Aronson
02-19-2009, 07:42 AM
If that's what caused your problems, Jim, I'm delighted for you. I once had a problem with my clutch that turned out to be a hard line split facing the firewall so you could not see visible signs of a leak. Once replaced, it worked perfectly.

Sounds like a "Lite Break" story for the Rovers North News. Care to send it in as a short article?

Jeff

Jim-ME
02-19-2009, 01:11 PM
I'll try an article. Got any examples?
Jim