PDA

View Full Version : Need a new ignition switch

BGGB
02-21-2009, 10:25 AM
the ignition switch on my 65 petrol stopped working the other day. the headlights and side lights still work but there is not power to the coil. i plan on replacing with a regular switch and running wires. does anyone know what amp rating switch i need. i'm not to electrical savvy so any help and advice is welcome.
Thank you

I Leak Oil
02-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Not sure what you mean by a "regular" switch but a direct replacement, used and sometimes new, can usually be found relatively cheap. This assumes that your problem is the switch and not the wiring. Even if it is the switch you may be able to fix it.
Jason T.

alaskajosh
02-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Here's some information that may be useful to you in your trouble shooting/decision making--

In key position 1- (all the way counter clockwise) poles 1 and 4 on the key switch have continuity.
Position 2- switch "parked", no continuity
Position 3- poles 1,2,4
Position 4- (the momentary "start" position) 1,2,3

From this we can see that power comes into pole 1.
Accessories like radios, lights, gauges should be on the #4 pole (coming on with key in "accessories" position and in position 3 or "run" position but not while cranking.)
The things that need to be on while cranking and while running (electric fuel pump, coil) would be on pole 2.
Only the starter relay need be on pole 3.

So it would appear, from what you've described, that your #2 pole has lost continuity with pole 1.

In my strictly amateur estimation I feel that, like most things LR electrical, the LR key switch is probably grossly overloaded with all that gets run through it. I've never seen specs on it and am basing this judgement only by it's flimsy feel compared to switches of known spec.

It seems like I've read that one might figure the coil for roughly 10a (I could be quite wrong here but only in safely overestimating) The starter relay drawing another 7-10a. Of course that should only be for short bursts.
Gauges are another few amps. Head and sidelights maybe 10-12a more?? Then whatever has been added by previous owners over the years.

I chose to stay with the LR key switch in my rewire but am using relays for everything that runs through there except the coil and starter relay.

You might look at something like this http://store.polarwire.com/browse.cfm/cole-hersee-products/ignition-switches/ignition-switch-4position/4,7402.html
before going "genuine" and spending 2X the money for not even 1/2 the switch.

Good luck and kind regards, Josh