PDA

View Full Version : Strange suspension issue...

Dashface
02-21-2009, 01:53 PM
So, I was noticing recently that my Series I Disco seems kind of low on the right side... Well, turns out that for whatever reason the right front shock seems to be shorter than the one on the left.

I know, I know, that seems crazy - but if I look under the truck, there are two fewer coils showing on the right. Does anyone have any idea why the heck this could be? I'm totally confused. I assume this means I need new shocks, but...? :confused:

I Leak Oil
02-21-2009, 04:49 PM
A picture would be helpful for a difinitive answer. On my RRC project the right rear spring was so fatigued that it had collapsed on itself, making it shorter. Yours could be fatigued or broken. It's the spring your talking about not the shock, right?
Jason T.

Paul Grant
02-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Could it be that you have sided front springs and that they have become worn with age? Hence the uneveness.

It is not uncommon to have the driver side spring be taller than the passenger side because there is always weight on that side. So, when driving around the truck sits level.

Take a look at these four springs taken from a RRC. Note the spring with the white marking is taller than the spring with the yellow marking. The white one was taken from the front driver side while the other is from the front passenger side. The two rear springs are heavy duty versions (this truck had orginally come with EAS and therefore had no Boge self leveler) and are the same height.

Dashface
02-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Sounds like you guys are probably right on the money - spring fatigue. Hmmm.

Is it going to hurt anything to drive it around this way until I get money to replace the springs? I assume I should replace all of the springs, yes? If I do, should I just go ahead and replace all of the shocks at the same time, or no?

Thanks! :)

Joey4420
02-21-2009, 08:23 PM
It will not hurt anything driving it around.

If and/or when you change the springs, keep in mind if you do not get a matched set it will still sag to one side.

Oddly enough Rover springs come with one side shorter than the other.

Dashface
02-21-2009, 08:58 PM
Well, if I get a new set of springs, everything will be nice and even, right? :D

I'm not trying to get more lift or anything, though I wouldn't say no :)

Funny how the suspension on my old NADA Rover hasn't sagged a damned bit. Of course, it doesn't really compress either haha ;)

spacemutt
02-22-2009, 04:29 AM
The front springs are different. Best to change them for a heavy duty set and new dampers.