PDA

View Full Version : T-max winches

vkjar
02-21-2009, 04:58 PM
I am looking at a Tmax winch for the front of my 88" SIIa has anyone out there used these winches?

looking at either their regular 9000lb or The 9000lb competition series winch which has caught my fancy as it comes with synthetic line and weighs only 60lbs or so.

What about mounting plates to fit a series?

Thanks

I Leak Oil
02-21-2009, 05:46 PM
I have no direct experience with them but have heard good things about the reliability of the solenoids. I'd stay away from the competion series as you're bound to get better longevity and practicality out of the regular winch offering. They seem to be priced in line with a Warn or Superwinch and even Ramsey. If I were to buy a new unit I'd go with one of the proven heritatge units.
My 2 cents...
Jason T.

leafsprung
02-21-2009, 07:12 PM
Tmax winches: DESIGNED, ENGINEERED AND MERCILESSLY TESTED IN AUSTRALIA . . .but made from generic parts in china. Take your pick: bulldog, t-max, venom, gorilla, summit are all about the same (some are identical with different labels.) At the end of the day I would VERY HAPPILY pay more for a used Warn 8274 than a new "chinese smoker"

spacemutt
02-22-2009, 04:26 AM
T-Max have been around just as long as Warn. Just shows what good marketing can do.

T-Max winches are fine. Don't know if you can buy spares for them though.

leafsprung
02-22-2009, 08:58 AM
T-Max have been around just as long as Warn. Just shows what good marketing can do.

Really?

From the T-max website:

T-Max as a brand winches and off-road accessories was begun in 1993

From the warn website:

Founded in 1948 by Arthur Warn, Warn Industries began producing locking hubs for surplus World War II Jeeps

Eric W S
02-22-2009, 09:07 AM

I'd never use a T-Max. You get what you pay for, especially in winches.

Buy an 8274 from Warn if your going to actually to recover your Rover off road.

I Leak Oil
02-22-2009, 09:25 AM

So they're fine until they break, then just throw them away? Very innovative, the disposable winch! Like I said, I'd personally stick with the the companies that have a heritage and good history behind it.
Jason T.

spacemutt
02-22-2009, 09:46 AM
Really?

From the T-max website:

T-Max as a brand winches and off-road accessories was begun in 1993

From the warn website:

Founded in 1948 by Arthur Warn, Warn Industries began producing locking hubs for surplus World War II Jeeps

Hmm... I stand corrected. I thought they were old that that. I wonder who I was thinking of.....

KevinNY
02-22-2009, 09:51 AM
They work just fine, I don't own one but wheel with several who do. The only winch I've seen fail offroad is warn in fact. I actually like the fact that the line stops instantly when the switch is released unlike the huge overun that many warns have.

vkjar
02-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks everyone, I have done a little more snooping on a few of the other 4x4 boards and the responces have really backed the T-max brand. I always hate getting into the which is better questions as there are always die hard warn users and die hard brandX users. Everything fails!
For the price ($450 Canadian) on one of their regular 9000lb series I don't mind paying, I just can't justify the $1500ish for a Warn8274 right now!. It is not going to get a lot of use.

Cheers

leafsprung
02-23-2009, 11:20 AM
buy a used 8274 similar out of pocket cost. If you really are interested I can go through the laundry list of why they are that much superior

thixon
02-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Just to put it into perspective for you, I was at a tradeshow in Dubai in November. Booth next to ours displayed T-Max. The chinese exhibitor offered to "give" me the display for $150 so he did'nt have to ship it home.

I passed (not worth lugging the crap half way across the plannet to get it home).

vkjar
02-23-2009, 03:48 PM
An 8274 would be nice however I rarely see them come up for sale in my neck of the woods. in the past few years I have seen only two, one was busted down the other was $800 off an old blazer. When I find one I will buy it but till then....we will see

I Leak Oil
02-23-2009, 03:57 PM
vkjar,
You asked for opinions on the T-Max winch line. You got some opinions on it but no real ownership experience based facts. So go out and get one and let us know how you like it. I'd be interested....
Jason T.

vkjar
02-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Well I called to order one and well they were sold out at that price. So I will keep my eye open for a 8274 to surface. Not the end of the world.