PDA

View Full Version : Sankey hubs

JimCT
02-21-2009, 07:36 PM
What are the Sankey trailer hubs like? Wondering if I could convert our Canadian M101 trailer to fit LR wheels.

Tim Smith
02-23-2009, 08:46 AM
Not sure what you are asking for but if you are asking if Series wheels will fit on a Sankey, then I'm pretty sure the answer is yes.

You need some measurements?

JimCT
02-23-2009, 04:14 PM
I wondered if they ran on a standard axle stub like most trailers, or if they were actually using a LR hub. J

Tim Smith
02-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Oh I see.
For that, I'm afraid I wouldn't know. Haven't had the opportunity to dig into that too far yet.

109 Pretender
02-24-2009, 02:44 PM
The canadian M101 is mostly like a US M416 trailer. Just a bit more ruggedized. I'm fairly certain the bolt pattern is something like a 5x5.5" pattern whereby the Sankey uses the LR 5x6.5" pattern.
A slick solution would be to have a new axle made up (perhaps using the M101 axle tube) with flanges welded to match the LR hub spindles. Solves the wheel issue and gives you the opportunity to size the axle width to track properly behind your LR. With LR hubs and spindles you could also bolt up LR drum brakes if so inclined.

good luck - you've got a fine trailer in the CAN M101:thumb-up:

cheers!

scott
02-24-2009, 02:53 PM
1591 this is the backside of a sankey 3/4 ton hub

CliftonRover
02-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Jim you could just bolt a rover axle under the trailer, you might need new u bolts and something for a spring perch, but you have just got me thinking cause I have the M100 trailer which is very similar to yours. I have an extra rangie axle and an extra series axle if your interested.

JimCT
02-24-2009, 06:11 PM
Thanks Forrest, but we have a spare '88 and a spare RR sitting in the back. I have thought about that, but the parking brake is kind of a handy feature on the trailer. So when are you doing another run at the camp? Jim

CliftonRover
02-24-2009, 06:18 PM
I will be around the weekend after this one. I have been thinking about doing a little wheeling and meeting up with a few rover guys down our way.

If anyone in CT wants to do a little wheeling two weekends from now I would be happy to have you. reply to the post and I will check on the interest. whether its one truck or 20 I will be around. This is at the same venue as the Deer Lake Rally for any of you that were there or heard about it.

CliftonRover
02-24-2009, 06:20 PM
Jim you could likely set up the same kind of brake for the trailer that the series trucks use for the parking brake. run a cable to each wheel and in place of the series wheel cylinder put the parking brake actuator.

rwollschlager
02-24-2009, 06:26 PM
If im not starting the tranny re-build I'll see if i can make it in another truck.
On the trailer subject,
i was passing through my scout camp, yawgoog in hope valley RI, and noticed they have 2-3 m416 trailers just laying around and havent moved in years. I'm going to try and get a hold of the rangers and see if they will let them go for a donation to the camp. :D

JimCT
02-24-2009, 06:53 PM
would like to join up for some trail rides. let us know. Jim

Tim Smith
02-24-2009, 07:48 PM
Hey Clifton,
Would love to drop in for a trail ride but I'm not sure if the timing (or rover) will work.

I'm also meaning to check out your 109 again. Can't remember if you did an axle over or regular setup. Playing with the idea of rangie axles under a series project but would like to check out your application for ideas.

JimCT
02-24-2009, 07:59 PM
I got the front diff lock working on the mog, maybe time to try some of your routes with the radiobox this time.

scott
02-24-2009, 09:11 PM
back to trailer talk, if you did put a series axle under your m-whatever you'd have a great place to carry a spare diff and set of axles

CliftonRover
02-24-2009, 09:30 PM
Tim, I set us the disco axles spring under (regular) but i used a linger shackle. You could easily do a spring over though and keep the stock shackles. bring the series down and if it barely makes it I have move than enough parts to get it back home too.

Jim, would love to see the mog out.

did not mean to hijack the thread...sorry