PDA

View Full Version : ac control panel removal

nester5310
02-22-2009, 09:24 AM
Does anyone on then board have any actual experience of removing /replacing this part? I have followed the Land rover manual and still cant quite get the unit out. Everything is loose and all screws and radio front panel and ancilliary parts are out.
Can anyone offer any more advice?
It gets bloody hot with no AC down here in S FLA. In the summer.

Thanks

Rich 95CLWB

Wallace
02-22-2009, 02:05 PM
I've done it twice and it wasn't fun. I'm working from a hazy memory here, but as I recall you have to remove the center console and shift surround, the radio, all the switches in the center panel, the lower panel/cupholder, the center panel itself (the plastic framework that holds all of the switches), the glovebox and the panel below the steering wheel and then disconnect the cables that control the three heat/A/C flaps.

If the problem is just the A/C On/Off switch or the Recirc switch, those should just pull out from the front (I think). If the problem is the fan switch (as mine was) you have to disassemble most of the dash because it is part of the A/C panel. BTW, the control panel and switches are from the Discovery I so are readily available.

Wallace
02-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Did you pull the knobs off? The screws are behind the knobs.

nester5310
02-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks Wallace

It is the sliding fan speed switch that is shot. I removed everything but the center console and Glove box. The vanilla part of the switch is all nice and loose. I guess it is the glove box and console now. Not quite sure how to get the glove box out.

Thanks for the advice, If you can recall any further tips or tricks I would be most grateful.

Rich 95 CLWB

Nester5310@aol.com

Wallace
02-26-2009, 12:02 PM
The three sliding cables are permanently attached to the control head so you have remove the "other" end where each cable attaches to the flap lever arms. As I recall (too many different Rovers!) the forward end of the center console and the glovebox have to be removed to access and remove the cables from the flap levers on the right side of the heater assembly. I think the glovebox is removed by removing the four bolts that hold the hinge at the bottom of the glovebox.

The fan switch is a high-failure item, like the seat switches, because the contacts will arc and build up a residue that creates resistance. Once you get the switch out, you can disassemble it and clean the contacts. Make sure you test it before you reinstall.