PDA

View Full Version : what shocks go good w/paras?

scott
02-26-2009, 11:06 AM
to those who have parabolic springs, what have you done for shocks? i understand that the paras allow for more travel, travel that might be limited by oem shocks. any thoughts on what shocks would have greater travel and still fit?

Eric W S
02-26-2009, 11:53 AM
Old Man EMu, Billstein. I'd get the Billsteins myself...

Andrew IIA
02-26-2009, 01:37 PM
ProComp and Old Man Emu. I've had both and prefer the OME (better one-piece poly bushes, IMHO).

Regards, Andrew
'63 SIIA 88"

Jeff Aronson
02-26-2009, 01:42 PM
I have Old Man Emu's with parabolics on my II-A. They've been terrific on road and off road.

Jeff

scott
02-26-2009, 02:30 PM
thanks guys, i'm looking at the rancho 9000 also. from bilstiens to procomps sets are going for between $400 and $200.

but what i'm looking for is size (measurement of compressed and streched). with the paras our axle travel more. i hear original shocks aren't long enough to take full advantage of the axle articulation. and folks like rancho don't list shocks for series iias so i need to find what will fit

Firemanshort
02-26-2009, 03:13 PM
I had original shocks placed on my truck and they were not suited.

I have a Stage One 109 2 door model. The parabolics place so much lift on the light rear end that the original shocks were beyound fully extended when the truck sat neutral. (ie - when I removed the shocks, the truck raised another inch) The ride reflected this.

I replaced the original shocks with ProComps - mostly due to price. They are indeed longer and now the truck bounces up and down instead of just down - if you know what I mean.

gassner
02-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Old Man Emu with 2 leaf front and rear.

badvibes
02-26-2009, 03:47 PM
Scott-

What we need to do is flex your suspension while your truck is just sitting in the drive. Get measurements at full compression and extension and with those dimensions we should be able to find something at one of the 4x4 shops to work. We jack up a front corner and measure the droop of the front tire and the compressed length at the rear. Then move to the back and do the same, measure the droop at the rear and the compressed front. It's best to do this with the shocks off the truck so that they don't limit the travel at all. Then you can get the maximum travel and try to match a shock up to that.

Jeff

jac04
02-26-2009, 04:00 PM
I've had both and prefer the OME (better one-piece poly bushes, IMHO).
Regards, Andrew
'63 SIIA 88"
Not to get off-topic, but what's the best way to install the 1-piece bushes on the OME shocks? Any tips/tricks?

Andrew IIA
02-26-2009, 04:33 PM
Not to get off-topic, but what's the best way to install the 1-piece bushes on the OME shocks? Any tips/tricks?
Warm them up (in turned-off warm oven or in very hot water) and press them in place with a bench-type vise. A little soap may help too. That's what worked for me anyhow.

Good luck, Andrew
'63 SIIA 88"

ps. I currently have RM 2-leaf front/rear parabolics.

gassner
02-27-2009, 01:54 PM
I sprayed mine with WD-40 then used a socket in a vise. Kind of like a press, just use a socket that will fit inside the the shock body mount. They should slip right into place.