PDA

View Full Version : military style fan blade removal

belenjack
02-27-2009, 06:46 PM
permission to come aboard i have a 67 mil spec engine i am overhauling currently its stripped down in my shed the block is goingout to the machinist i am having a problem separating the fan blade from the waterpump i took the screws out and applied heat pb blaster and a fair amount of elbow grease any help would be great thanks

scott
02-28-2009, 01:01 AM
mines not a milspec, just a 4 blade civi but it fell right off after removing the 4 bolts that go through the fan and thread only into the water pump.

Bertha
02-28-2009, 07:38 AM
Military fans fit very tight on the pulley. You will need to try and GENTLY pry it off by applying small amounts of pressure as you go around the fan. Be careful not to damage any blades. Unlike a regular fan, a mil spec has much more metal to metal contact surface to potentially rust together as well as a near press fit onto the pulley.

DG Rodgers
03-01-2009, 10:06 AM
That sounds real stuck belenjack. I just changed my water pump, belt and hoses yesterday on my 78 series III. I have the civi fan but it was really tight and didn't want to budge after I pulled the 4 bolts. I coaxed mine off with a breaker bar gently as Bertha suggested. After a little stubbornness it eventually just popped off.

LaneRover
03-01-2009, 10:59 AM
permission to come aboard i have a 67 mil spec engine i am overhauling currently its stripped down in my shed the block is goingout to the machinist i am having a problem separating the fan blade from the waterpump i took the screws out and applied heat pb blaster and a fair amount of elbow grease any help would be great thanks

Just in case.....

Permission Granted!

belenjack
03-01-2009, 04:43 PM
thank you i got it removed today i borrowed a pry bar about eleven inches long by 3/4 wide with just the right pry angle and tapping with a rubber headed hammer and it eventually separated