PDA

View Full Version : Pulsing brakes

east high
03-03-2009, 09:57 AM
When I first got my rover I had to give the brakes a quick 1-2 pump to get a solid pedal. I took it into the shop for various things, had them check the brakes (they were out of adjustment) and now I'm noticing a pulsing that I can feel in both the momentum of the truck and pedal. They're also starting to squeak some.

My gut tells me the drums might need truing. Can anyone chime in on this?

CliftonRover
03-03-2009, 02:06 PM
shoes might be to tight. drive a bit then put your hand on the rims around where the lugs are, to see if they are getting hot.

east high
03-03-2009, 02:47 PM
I forgot to mention that it's only like this when I use the brakes. It rolls just fine.

jac04
03-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Another thing to check is the hub and drum mounting surfaces. I was battling slight brake pulsing & squeaking issues on my restored '63. I found that the painted surfaces of the hubs and drums was to blame - it kind of made for a 'soft' mounting. I cleaned both surfaces with a 3M cleaning wheel and all was good again.

rovertek
03-04-2009, 04:53 PM
have some one throw the drums on a brake lathe it sounds like they're out of round.....

Myron
03-05-2009, 08:30 AM
I just went through this with a set of brand new drums (Pro Line) from our hosts. Because they were new, the last thing I did, which will be the first thing next time, was to have the drums trued up at a brake shop. Cost me $14 and it completely solved the problem. Feels like a MB S-class when I step on the brakes now.

Tim Smith
03-05-2009, 09:32 AM
Feels like a MB S-class when I step on the brakes now.Then your S-class needs help!
:p

east high
03-05-2009, 10:18 AM
Thanks guys.

CliftonRover
03-05-2009, 03:14 PM
check out the shoe adjustment first you can only turn the drums a few times depending on the severity of the problem.

Jeff Aronson
03-05-2009, 03:33 PM
You've received good advice from these enthusiasts. Now I'm assuming that you don't have a brake servo in your II-A [although many II-A's had them installed later]? A failing servo can also cause pulsation.

My experience has been that the drums being out of true reveal themselves whether the brakes are adjusted, so I'm a bit puzzled.

Before removing the drums again, jack up each wheel and try rotating it by hand. If they are properly adjusted, they will rotate with a slight mettalic sound before stopping rather quickly. You might find that not all the wheels were adjusted correctly. If they feel the same when rotated [and the car does not pull to one side or another under braking], then you might find you need to true (or round out) the drums.

I think you might also find that one of the brake shoes is either quite worn or not retracting properly. Often by the time that you need to 1-2 the pedal to get good braking, the need is beyond adjusting alone.

Good luck and let us know!

Jeff