PDA

View Full Version : Axle shaft replacement

vkjar
03-03-2009, 10:02 AM
I believe I read this somewhere not sure if it was on this site or not. Cannt find the post.

Correct me if I am wrong, I can replace my rear axle shafts without removing my rear tires etc. Just remove the hub and pull out the shafts right!

Mine have not been done in some time the previous owner never did them and I want to replace or at very least inspect them for spline twist prior to this summers wheeling. As I have no idea of how many miles are on them, definalety more than 40k and the truck has seen off road use.

BackInA88
03-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Yes you can.
Just remove the 6 bolts on the drive flange and they will slide right out as long as the splines are not twisted in the diff.:(
Than you might need a slide hammer.

Steve

willincalgary
03-03-2009, 12:11 PM
On a related note has anyone ever used one of those magnetic axle-stub removing devices? It's supposed to be able to pull out the broken bit from the differential so you don't have to remove the diff. Based on the above comment I find it unlikely a magnet is going to get it out once the breakage has occured.

X-Eng has one here: http://www.x-eng.co.uk/X-Shaft.asp?MID=33

CliftonRover
03-03-2009, 02:04 PM
if the splines are twisted then no the magnet won't work, but it will pull any free floating pieces out of the diff. I used a magnet to pull an axle at winter romp, it broke in the spindle so the splines were fine, but it was helpful to have, I am not sure how else i could have gotten it out.

JimCT
03-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Use a 22 rifle cleaning rod, remove both axles and it will slip past the spider gear pin, push it up against the broken stub and then hit it hard with your hand, shoots the stub free and you can usually fish it out with a coat hanger wire or a magnet. Don't ask me how I know. Jim

Linus Tremaine
03-03-2009, 08:40 PM
My truck came with a similar tool. Its a long steel rod with the end cut down to fit past the spider gears. The other part is a copper pipe that has been cut and flared out a little on the other end. That way, you can shove the copper tube up against the broken piece while someone on the other side knocks it out and the idea is that you "catch" it in the copper tube and pull it out.

I had to do it alone once and didnt get to catch the piece, so the diff came out anyway.

thixon
03-04-2009, 02:53 PM
I find it depressing that we all have stories about broken axles, and their fixes in the field. :D

greenmeanie
03-04-2009, 06:03 PM
10 years, over 100K and none yet.

Probably says something about me not trying hard enough.

JimCT
03-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Too bad for you, as Forrest said you can change one in about 15 minutes...the perfect way to impress your friends! And it helps one bond with their Rover.

scott
03-04-2009, 10:48 PM
i got lucky. spiders exploded, axles just twisted. crawled home with front wheel drive. broken pieces were small enough to sit in the bottom of the dif such that the r&p where spared any damage.

LaneRover
03-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Mine snapped 100 yards from home as I pulled up the alley behind my place.

BackInA88
03-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Mine 1st and only broken axle (so far) happen at the bottom on my drive the first time my daughter got up the nerve to drive it.:p

It didn't put her off it to long she drove it right after I got it fixed.

Steve

willincalgary
03-05-2009, 02:07 PM
By the sounds of it carrying a rod with a magnet and some sort of metal rod to push out the broken peice is worthwhile. What size rod will fit through the diff to push out the broken piece? A .22 is pretty small so I'm wondering if that was used only because it was available or because it was the right size?

bmohan55
03-06-2009, 07:44 AM
After reading this I think I'll pull mine out this weekend and inspect (oh boy, more bonding time!). Dumb question but are there any seals that will need to be replaced while doing this?