PDA

View Full Version : Just got a '65 IIA RHD...

navydevildoc
03-04-2009, 03:30 PM
As the title says I just picked up a 1965 Series IIA 88 Right Hand Drive!

It's in pretty decent shape but I plan to do a rolling resto on it. I can't wait to start on it. I have an '05 LR3 now but have been keeping my eyes out for a Series. This one popped up local in San Diego and I jumped on it.

So just remember when I start asking the "dumb" questions that I am blond... so you all have fair warning!

willincalgary
03-04-2009, 04:06 PM
What are you holding in your picture? Looks lethal.

Welcome to the world of Series trucks!

navydevildoc
03-04-2009, 04:26 PM
What are you holding in your picture? Looks lethal.

Welcome to the world of Series trucks!

:D That's an M829A2 Armor Piercing, Fin Stabilized, Discarding Sabot Kinetic Energy Penetrator Round.

In other words a big round fired out of M1 Abrams tanks to kill other tanks. We call it "The Big Silver Bullet"

scott
03-04-2009, 05:46 PM
doc how long will ya be in socal? badvibes and our 2 64 iia's are planning a run halfway down the baja. head south on the sea side crossover and run north up the pac side.

navydevildoc
03-04-2009, 05:49 PM
doc how long will ya be in socal? badvibes and our 2 64 iia's are planning a run halfway down the baja. head south on the sea side crossover and run north up the pac side.

Been here almost 9 years so far.. no plans to leave until deployment about a year from now... I love San Diego. Probably never leave.

scott
03-04-2009, 05:55 PM
Been here almost 9 years so far.. no plans to leave until deployment about a year from now... I love San Diego. Probably never leave.

i'm thinking this summer. about a ten day trip starting in yuma and ending in san diego. you welcome to join us.

4flattires
03-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Scott,

Hope you have been keeping abreast of the recent developments south of the border.

Jeff

LaneRover
03-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Scott,

Hope you have been keeping abreast of the recent developments south of the border.

Jeff

Staying away form Tijuana might be a good thing.

scott
03-04-2009, 10:41 PM
Staying away form Tijuana might be a good thing.

trip through tj would be a quick non stop mid day thing. all border towns suck. i've been watching.

badvibes
03-05-2009, 08:32 AM
Actually thinking of crossing the border from Yuma to San Luis. Avoiding big border towns completely.

navydevildoc- Welcome and thank you for your service. You and Scott have stuff in common. Besides just the Rover sickness thing.

Jeff

thixon
03-05-2009, 08:34 AM
Congrats on the purchase. Don't worry about the stupid question thing. I've already asked them all, so everyone here is desensitized!:D

Seriously though, you won't regret the purchase. Unless you're married, and then it could go either way.

Good luck,

Tim Smith
03-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Welcome and enjoy that truck.

navydevildoc
03-05-2009, 10:26 AM
Seriously though, you won't regret the purchase. Unless you're married, and then it could go either way.

Somehow I have managed to stay single... comes in handy in times like these!

Of course, one of my friends has already started joking that I *did* just get married when I bought this thing.

scott
03-05-2009, 12:40 PM

Of course, one of my friends has already started joking that I *did* just get married when I bought this thing.

it's a lot alike, marriage and series ownership. the longer you have 'em the more they cost and the less they do. i can say this cuz my wife doesn't read this board.

StX_Rovers
03-10-2009, 02:21 PM

Or you could get lucky like me and marry a woman who has her own 67 RHD 2A 88. After driving the 109 she wanted an 88 of her own:

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh84/StX_RdRunr/P1010086.jpg

She likes that even when there are a few potholes in our road she can get home:

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh84/StX_RdRunr/10660005.jpg

She also races it in the street class at the local dragstrip:

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh84/StX_RdRunr/P1010004.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh84/StX_RdRunr/DandMtrack.jpg

That is our 70 Road Runner in the background.

Enjoy your new Rover, they are great fun and when you drive a LHD version you will realize that the RHD versions are definitely laid out a bit better in terms of where the starter button is, reaching the high low levers, access to teh clutch master cylindrer etc, which makes sense of course.

navydevildoc
03-11-2009, 11:23 AM
Well, I have discovered that one of the best places for information is personal web sites of people who have been crazy enough to take on a project like mine. Reading other people's experience with the same problems I am likely to face is a huge help.

So, using some of my IT skills I decided to start my own web site as well, chronicling the journey this Series will take from start to finish.

It's up and running at The Rover Rebuild (http://rover.neillt.com). Hopefully it can help out some other people the same way others have helped me.

TSR53
03-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Your new weblog looks great! :thumb-up: and of course, welcome to the forum.

Tim Smith
03-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Your new weblog looks great! :thumb-up: and of course, welcome to the forum.2x. I've added it to my favorites. :thumb-up:

navydevildoc
03-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Your new weblog looks great! :thumb-up: and of course, welcome to the forum.

Thanks! :thumb-up:

Don't worry, like I have said before... be prepared for stupid questions!

Eric W S
03-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Well, I have discovered that one of the best places for information is personal web sites of people who have been crazy enough to take on a project like mine. Reading other people's experience with the same problems I am likely to face is a huge help.

So, using some of my IT skills I decided to start my own web site as well, chronicling the journey this Series will take from start to finish.

It's up and running at The Rover Rebuild (http://rover.neillt.com). Hopefully it can help out some other people the same way others have helped me.

There are at least two vendors I can think of off the top of my head that always have solex parts in stock. Most have full rebuild kits. There are also several vendors that specialize in the Solex that could easily repair the carb and address the latent issues with them.

Ebay/LR UK vendors always have the parts.

StX_Rovers
03-12-2009, 07:58 AM
Just read your blog and noticed that you ordered the 32/36 Weber. Michelle's Landy blew the head gasket a week ago. The shop I took it to to get the valves done (it was off after all) said it looked as if it had been running rich (which we knew) so we will be doing the jetting scenario. Our neighbor who is an excellent welder made us an airbox adapter (aluminimum of course) to be able to run the original air cleaner, which probably affects the jetting. The Weber is very tunable at least, as you can change both the air correctors (called air bleeds on a Holley) in addition to the jets. Remember, in general the jet will be larger on the secondary and the air corrector smaller, as compared to the primary. Her 88's engine is a 7:1 versus an 8:1 which also affects jetting.

We know a man down here who has owned his 68 2A 88 since new or almost new and he swears by the Rochester. While not new there were a lot of GM engines made so a large pool of parts.

We are sticking with the Weber as we already own it and the corresponding manifold, unless it just cannot be made to work.

If you get yours to work please post the settings as that is always a useful starting point for others. We will do the same.