PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my newly painted tailgate.

ktom300
03-08-2009, 12:40 AM
Just finished sanblasting and painting my tailgate. Anyone want to venture a guess as to why I have different bumperettes and no lifting points or holes for them? This is a 74 FFR RHD Lightweight and the lifting rings are on the front bumper.

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo89/ktom300/IMG_6405-2.jpg

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo89/ktom300/IMG_6407.jpg

HybridIIA
03-08-2009, 07:46 AM
It looks like you have a civilian rear crossmember instead of the original military verision. Check out the photos in the following thread & you should be able to see the differences... http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5073

teechizpet
03-08-2009, 08:35 AM
When the vehicles would go in to the MOD shops for repair the mechanics didn't always have military crossmembers in stock and sometimes would use the civilian versions if they were available. That was probably the case with yours. Mine had a civilian one when I first got it but the new frame that I got had the military version. Mike M. 74 S3 RHD FFR Lightweight

teechizpet
03-08-2009, 08:48 AM
If you look at the last picture you will notice that the civilian crossmember sticks out about 1/2". That's the differance between the lightweights body width and a series body width. Mike M.

gudjeon
03-08-2009, 09:44 AM
I love that camo scheme when it is done right like that. Implements just look "right" on the back then. :thumb-up:

ktom300
03-08-2009, 12:35 PM
If you look at the last picture you will notice that the civilian crossmember sticks out about 1/2". That's the differance between the lightweights body width and a series body width. Mike M.

That explains a lot. How was the pintle hitch installed?

jac04
03-08-2009, 02:20 PM
What did you use for paint? It almost looks a little satin versus flat, but the green color looks like a good match for the original. Seeing your pictures makes me think about going green or black/green camo instead of desert tan on my Lightweight.

LaneRover
03-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Wish I could do that with my license plate when I set off the red light cameras!

teechizpet
03-08-2009, 07:56 PM
The pintle hitch is installed the same on civilian as military 4 bolts through the crossmember but make sure you use the backing plate. Although I haven't personnally experienced it I have heard some horror stories of the pintle hitch coming through the crossmember because the backing plate wasn't in place. The plate distributes the load. It's very critical when it comes to shock loads!

ktom300
03-09-2009, 12:41 AM
What did you use for paint? It almost looks a little satin versus flat, but the green color looks like a good match for the original. Seeing your pictures makes me think about going green or black/green camo instead of desert tan on my Lightweight.

I used Rustoleum Specialty Camo (deep forest green) and followed that with Rustoleum Matte clear. It's got more gloss than I thought it would but I may still experiment with some 000 steel wool/water to knock it down a bit. Without the clear, the green paint is super flat, much lighter, and impossible to keep clean or smudge free.
The rest of the rover is painted without clear so I have some more work to do to make it all match but I like the way the paint repells water/dirt now.