PDA

View Full Version : No start

SeriesCanuck
03-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Odd thing happened....I left the headlights on and drained the battery the other day (oops) but after I charged the battery back up I could not start the RRC.
The starter would not engage, no clicking sounds, dash lights up.
I tried banging the starter but didn't help. I took the battery to get load tested but they say it's fine.
I haven't checked all connections yet but checked most fuses.
Is there something I could be missing here?

Thanks,
Thom
93' RRC LWB 4.2L

Bwana
03-09-2009, 11:01 PM
My 87 just did that. Bad connection at the engine ground where it attaches to hood hinge. Take a set of jumper cables and hook one black end to the negative battery terminal, and other black end to your passenger side exhaust manifold, then try to start. That will ground the engine and tell you if a bad ground is what the problem is.

SeriesCanuck
03-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Thanks. I will give that a try when I get home tonight. The other item I haven't checked is if I left the lights on did I burn out one of the tailights? I checked the brake light fuse and it is fine but because the battery was dead I never looked at any of the lights.

I had a simular thing happen on my 96' Disco and it ended up being the brake light switch. I could start the truck by putting a quarter between the leads of the rear window defroster .....of course I wouldn't have any brake lights.

SeriesCanuck
03-10-2009, 08:27 PM
I tried the jumper cables trick as suggested but that didn't do it.I have brake lights except for the centre light on the upper tailgate. Think that would make a difference?

SeriesCanuck
03-14-2009, 08:13 PM
hmm.....for some reason now that the weather has gotten a little warmer and without having done anything the truck now starts.

anybody have any ideas......why...

jgkmmoore
04-13-2009, 05:08 PM
Only in Land O' Lucas does putting a quarter on the defroster leads fix a brakelight/lockout problem. Whatever is the hookup??? What do those leads have to do with the lockout or the brakes???
I'm fascinated by why you attempted that fix, and blown away that it worked! Amazing. Is there anything in any manual to suggest that procedure? Wow. How DID you figure that out? Are you an EE? Very little about Lucas amazes me any more after reading that the seat (memory) switch will run the mirrors. I do understand part of that (only if memory switch tho). I hope not to need it, but I will sure remember to have a quarter in the ashtray ALL the time. A lot cheaper than the crapola brake switches. HeHeeeeeeeeeeeeeee:D I luvvit!!!!:thumb-up:

jgkmmoore
04-13-2009, 05:23 PM
If I used a nickel between the defroster leads, and bottomed the passenger power seat out in reverse, and turned on the dome light at the same time, would my Cruise Control come to life? Nothing else seems to do the trick. I sure am sick of throwing money and parts at RRC cruise control. What's with the boinker thing inside the steering wheel? All other car makers seem to make cruise that works........whazzit with Solihull?
Do the newer rigs with Bosch have good cruise???

SeriesCanuck
04-17-2009, 10:58 AM
I had heard it on another BB. Someone else had figured that one out. I believe it had to do with the rear defrost being on the same circuit as the brake lights and switch. All I know is that it worked very well for me and many other Disco owners. I haven't heard if it works on RRC's though.
However......anything is possible with Land Rovers so....if you gotta stand on your head, rub your belly and put a quarter between your cheeks to start your Landy then.....I'm willing to bet there would be more than a few willing enthusiasts who wouldn't think twice.