PDA

View Full Version : To replace or not to replace that is the question

cachinfool
03-10-2009, 12:21 AM
I'm in the process of rebuilding my transfer case. I started out just to replace the front output shaft and seals from there it turns out I also need a rear output bearing and as I'm disassembling the TC I find that somewhere along the line someone put the rear circlip that is supposed to be on the outside of the TC on the inside of the TC and last but not least there is a small chunk missing form one of the teeth on the High Gear. So along with all the other parts I need to replace does this gear need to be replaced too or will it be okay the way it is?
http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/9b65abae-4a2b-4c24-9ff8-3b1932de5f26.jpg
http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/d23d2d4a-82ea-4346-89de-fa3077fd6b13.jpg

SafeAirOne
03-10-2009, 06:58 AM
Well, the way I see it, you could spend the $103 now and put a new one in or take a chance on spending much more than $103 and having to take the transfer case out and rebuild it again later.

4flattires
03-10-2009, 08:01 AM
There is more than that one flaw on the gear.

Replace.

Jeff

Jeff Aronson
03-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Replace it. The entire gear looks pitted on several teeth. I've only done a gearbox and transfer case rebuild once - that was enough for me.

Jeff

Les Parker
03-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Methinks that the gear shown will add to the whines/howls from the transmission, a replacement would be recommended...

SafeAirOne
03-10-2009, 10:45 AM
There is more than that one flaw on the gear.

Replace.

Jeff

Yeah--You're right. In the bottom photo, it looks like the tooth to the right of the obvoiusly bad one is about to chip apart in the same place.

thixon
03-10-2009, 10:52 AM
I know it stinks to have to spend the bucks, but if you're already in there....

cachinfool
03-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Looks like I will be replacing a the gear too.:sly:
I knew that it was the right thing to do while I was in there anyway but I'ts been a while since I've worked on my long since passed away "232CI 3spd on the floor with MT 50's slapped on the back 71 Gremlin":thumb-up: and thought I would ask just in case.

Jeff Aronson
03-10-2009, 02:18 PM
You drove a Gremlin?!

I'm in awe. With its front-heavy weight distribution and short wheelbase, it was a frightening car :).

Jeff

StX_Rovers
03-10-2009, 02:24 PM
That gear is in the paperweight category. The other thing to remember when you are spending the money is that you can still get a new gear on which to spend the money. That might not be the case in the future. Check the mating surfaces on the other gear while you are in there.

Terrys
03-10-2009, 03:00 PM
I had a chip just like that out of one tooth on a ring gear, so, being poor at the time, I took a Dremel and smoothed it all out. Wouldn't you know, 14 years later that gear just went all to hell. Teach me to take shortcuts.
actually, I didn't care since I'd sold the truck 6 years earlier to my friend.

thixon
03-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Looks like I will be replacing a the gear too.:sly:
I knew that it was the right thing to do while I was in there anyway but I'ts been a while since I've worked on my long since passed away "232CI 3spd on the floor with MT 50's slapped on the back 71 Gremlin":thumb-up: and thought I would ask just in case.

A Gremlin, I love it! Theres a guy in the town I live in with a really nice orange Gremlin. He's shoved some big block or the other in there. The best part is that lots of people I know think its a Pacer!:thumb-up:

cachinfool
03-10-2009, 04:02 PM
A Gremlin, I love it! Theres a guy in the town I live in with a really nice orange Gremlin. He's shoved some big block or the other in there. The best part is that lots of people I know think its a Pacer!:thumb-up:

How do you mistake a Gremlin for a Pacer? What's even worse is when people used to call my '69 AMX a Javlin:nono:. No I don't still have the AMX, had to sell it when we had kids because there was no place in the back for them.