PDA

View Full Version : Engine for a Series IIA 1969

MBW
03-13-2009, 11:12 PM
I just recently purchased a 1969 Series IIA, and it's my first. I love the way it looks, and feels, but was thinking that the "straight six" that came with it, wouldn't be able to do the job of off-roading and pulling a heavy load. I will admitt that I don't know much about engines, and would like to put a question out to the forum. What would be the idea engine to place the straight six for my 1969 Series IIa, and why? I look forward to reading your suggestions.

navydevildoc
03-13-2009, 11:36 PM
I could be worse, you could have the 2.25L 4 banger I have in the '65 IIA I have!

A very excellent place to start would be Teriann's Expedition Rover web site at www.expeditionlandrover.info (http://www.expeditionlandrover.info). A little more than a third of the way down talks about engine conversions.

I don't know if the 88" came with the 6 cylinder or not, but do you have an 88" or 109" Landy?

BGGB
03-14-2009, 01:13 AM
i'm guessing you have a 109, and if i were you i would go with a diesel conversion if that works for you. i believe the top choices would be a 200 or 300 tdi engine. if you wanted a nonlandrover engine there are several great examples of cummins 4bt engine but that gets more involved, mating up the the tranny. you have many options make sure to do lots of research before choosing what engine will work for your needs and price range. i agree with navy that terriann's site is a great place to get started she has a lot of great info on common land rover conversions. good luck and happy hunting

SafeAirOne
03-14-2009, 07:09 AM
i believe the top choices would be a 200 or 300 tdi engine. if you wanted a nonlandrover engine there are several great examples of cummins 4bt engine but that gets more involved, mating up the the tranny.

If you are converting from a 6-cyl to a 200/300 Tdi, you'll likely need to change the 6-cyl bellhousing to a 4-cyl bellhousing. The bolt position on the bellhousing is different between Rover 4 and 6 cyl engines.

lrdukdog
03-14-2009, 07:16 AM
:thumb-up: Probably the easiest "cheapest" would be the GM 6 cylinder. You will need the adapter plate ( check ebay ). These have been done lots of times and there is a wealth of info. on the web about doing it.
Jim Wolf

Jeff Aronson
03-14-2009, 08:46 AM
If you have the Rover 6-cylinder, you'll find it should have more than enough power for off roading and towing. Where it falls down is for long term, high speed highway driving. That's where its '50's design - when there were only one motorway in England - shows its weakness.

But unless you're planning on many thousands of miles of interstate, highway driving, why not try the Rover first and see what it's like? Take a compression and leak down test to determine the condition of the valves and the rings/cylinders. Then see if you really want to change out the engine.

Remember, too, that the brakes and suspension were designed within the expected parameters of speed and handling. If you upgrade the engine susbtantially, you'll need to make improvements to both because of the higher speeds and driving situations you may encounter.

Jeff

greenmeanie
03-14-2009, 10:00 AM
We need piccies to determine what engine you've got.

JSBriggs
03-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Im an I6 fan myself, so unless its a complete hack install, it is a decent choice for a Rover.

One thing to do is to determine WHAT engine you have. Is it a Land Rover 6, Rover sedan 6, Chevy 6, Ford 6 etc.

-Jeff

rovertek
03-15-2009, 09:29 AM
ive been installing chevy 292 6 cyl's for years and had great results and more than enough power to pull big loads, using a scotty adapter or i have also made my own......

Eric W S
03-15-2009, 10:39 AM
88's never came with the 6. Only 109's

If it is a NADA 6, then make sure the valves are properly adjusted. Parts can get expensive and can be a bit difficult to locate from what I understand.

What type of wheeling are you doing that a 6 is isn't up to task?

I have done 2 re-powers. Both fairly easy as they were on Jeeps with great after market support. Never again. Ever. Too much time, effort, and money.

greenmeanie
03-16-2009, 11:21 AM
Rovertek,
Out of interest what kind of fuel consumption numbers do you get on your 292 conversions? I am building a NADA 109 with a breathed on 292 right now and am waiting to see with baited breath. I do admit that I am mating it up to an NP435, hrtc and am going to fine tune things with the diff ratios so hopefully I'll be cruising at around 2400rpm.

Aztec Rover
03-17-2009, 12:29 PM
ive been installing chevy 292 6 cyl's for years and had great results and more than enough power to pull big loads, using a scotty adapter

Do you have contact infor for Scotty? I am in the midst of planning a Chevy conversion and am struggling to find adapters.

MBW
09-26-2011, 11:18 AM
Gents, thank you for your suggestions, and my appologizes for responding so late.

My last question is this: Would a "mercede 2.7L or 3L TDI" work in a 88 Series IIa (1969)?

Once again Gentleman, thank you for your assistance.

:thumb-up:

superstator
09-26-2011, 12:35 PM
Anything's possible with the Series. There are folks on this board with direct experience putting older Merc diesels (OM617, etc) in. I've never heard of anybody doing the newer units like the OM612, but I'd love to see one.

CMorris
09-26-2011, 04:27 PM
I built up an 88 with a Mercedes 240D engine.......a great combo in my opinion, but would be weak for a 109. My current build is a 109 pickup with Defender 200TDi............again, great combo imho. Jim Young at Series trek put a Mercedes 300TD in his latest truck (109 wagon), however he started with a clapped out NADA 6 cylinder......you need that 6 cylinder bulkhead for engine clearance, or get creative with your 4 cylinder version. My vote would be for either the 300TD Merc, or 200TDi for "6 cylinder" power. Good luck........sounds fun!

MBW
09-27-2011, 08:46 AM
Morris--Thanks! I saw that: Jim Young latest project; that's what sparked my quest. I have a CHEVY C10 straight six in mine, but want to change over to a 'Diesel'. I was thinking of putting a 200 TDI, but heard the 'mercede' diesel would be a better engine. I love the thumbnails you posted. That looks awesome. How long did your porject take?

TeriAnn
09-27-2011, 12:44 PM
Do you have contact infor for Scotty? I am in the midst of planning a Chevy conversion and am struggling to find adapters.

I'm sorry to say that Scotty died a few years back. To the best of my knowledge no one got the molds for his conversion. They were sitting at the company who cast them for him. I think around 500 or so were made over the years.

TeriAnn
09-27-2011, 12:58 PM
Anything's possible with the Series. There are folks on this board with direct experience putting older Merc diesels (OM617, etc) in. I've never heard of anybody doing the newer units like the OM612, but I'd love to see one.

I read that Rob Davis is offering a kit for the OM-617 five cylinder conversion for LRs that came stock with a LR six engine.

He also offers a couple 4 cyl diesel conversions for LR four cyl vehicles.

SafeAirOne
09-27-2011, 01:16 PM
I read that Rob Davis is offering a kit for the OM-617 five cylinder conversion for LRs that came stock with a LR six engine.

He also offers a couple 4 cyl diesel conversions for LR four cyl vehicles.

I think he's got these listed on LandRoverExchange.com right now. At least he did a few weeks ago.

CMorris
09-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Morris--Thanks! I saw that: Jim Young latest project; that's what sparked my quest. I have a CHEVY C10 straight six in mine, but want to change over to a 'Diesel'. I was thinking of putting a 200 TDI, but heard the 'mercede' diesel would be a better engine. I love the thumbnails you posted. That looks awesome. How long did your porject take?

Thanks MBW,
The Mercedes truck took about 16 months.........if it weren't for this damned full-time job I'm sure I could have done it in 36 hours just like they do on TV!
All kidding aside, there was a fair amount of problem solving / fabrication with the Mercedes conversion, but nothing that most here could not figure out.
The 200TDi has been a far simpler conversion........right side motor mount, shuffle the radiator/intercooler combo around and start plumbing.
Good luck with whichever route you go and feel free to drop me a note if you need any particulars on the conversions.

o2batsea
09-27-2011, 03:33 PM
Welllll, I know mr bobeck has an Iron Duke and scottys adapter sitting at his house cuz I had to step past it the other day. He'd love to sell it to you.

Alaskan Rover
06-15-2012, 12:17 PM
i realize this is an old post from eons ago, but I'll answer nonetheless.

If it has a straight six in it, I presume it's a 109. If it was the 88", then I,
'D simply say it already has a fine workhorse of an engine, the 2.25 4 cylinder. I love my 2.25 4 cyl !!!

but since it's probably a 109, they CAN be underpowered. that's a lot more weight than the 88"! Make no mistake, though, the 109 with that six have spent decades doing fine in some of the most inhospitable places in the world.

Now, if I WAS in the mindset to replace a rover 109 engine, i would actually consider installing one of the most venerable, longest-lived engines in the world...the famous Plymouth 225 Slant Six engine. An engine of unbelievable ruggedness and longevity...they just can't be killed. they are more displacement than the original inline six...more power and more torque. I think they're 130 or 140 hp, not sure. they should still fit within the bay without modding. tranny? ...A 4 speed from the mid-sixties that came with that engine. that may bolt up to the venerable rover transfer case.

Another great option for 109 is the Perkins diesel...they come in various horsepowers, and they usually run them in boats and tractors.that little 2.25 4 cy

But like I said, for those others who have instead the 88" and are looking for an engine swap....WHY??? t

gwmaxhunter
07-22-2013, 10:01 PM
Hi. i am in canada bc i have just installed a chevy 2.5L 4 cyl in my 1964 109. i fabed my own adapter and bolted it right in i didnt even have to modify my 8.000lb pto driveline at all. i have 2.25 engine bay not the 6. i think this is the easyist mod to do.