PDA

View Full Version : Help: Def 90/ series 2 Engine Conversion

mininrover3
03-15-2009, 02:45 PM
Hello,
I am looking to place a Defender 90 3.9L V8 in my 1962 Series 2. What should I do to the 1962 to make this conversion successful while keeping that classic look?
thank you
Chris

SafeAirOne
03-15-2009, 07:00 PM
Hello,
I am looking to place a Defender 90 3.9L V8 in my 1962 Series 2. What should I do to the 1962 to make this conversion successful while keeping that classic look?
thank you
Chris

Well, I might first check into what sort of torque/horsepower the rest of the driveline would be able to withstand before failure. Unfortunately, this won't be as simple (cheap) as mating the 8-cyl to the existing belhousing...

thixon
03-15-2009, 08:32 PM
You're in for a lot of work. It won't simply be fitting a new engine under the bonnet and heading off. Can you weld, paint, etc.? WIthout getting into the bloody details, you'd basically be building a new truck out of what you have (if you did it right). If it were me, I'd consider swapping out the axles, gearbox and tran case. Then you get into the wiring, steering, and everything else. See where I'm headed. It won't be for those with a weak stomach.

If you can't do the work yourself, and paid someone, you'd be better off just buying a defender. I've seen some high mile 94's go for good prices.

Why not just put another 2.25 in?

TeriAnn
03-16-2009, 12:32 AM
Hello,
I am looking to place a Defender 90 3.9L V8 in my 1962 Series 2. What should I do to the 1962 to make this conversion successful while keeping that classic
Its a lot of work to install an engine with reliability issues that doesn't have a whole lot of HP and gets poor fuel mileage. At the minimum you will need to come up with a more robust gearbox, radiator and axles (The Series Transfercase is very strong). If you are going to go through all that work you are better off swapping in a small block American V8 & gearbox. More power, easier to adapt to a gearbox while keeping drive train length from forcing you to go to Defender front clip, better fuel mileage, MUCH cheaper parts available on the shelf at your local auto parts store.

A small lock Ford or Chevy, an NP435 from Ike with a modified tail to fit a Series transfercase, Ashcroft high ratio kit, 24 spline axles in a rear ARB. It can work.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/snapshots/snaps/Moj07trail3B.jpg
This truck has a fuel injected Ford 302 V8, Borg Warner T-18 gearbox, Series transfercase with Ashcroft high ratio kit, 24 spline rear Salisbury, Maxidrive hardened axles, rear ARB, SeriesTrek 24 spline axles up front along with a Trutrac, power steering and front disc brakes.

Except for the Defender V8 insignia behind the front wheels on the outer wing panel, it looks just like your average slightly pimped out 1960 SII Land Rover Dormobile. :D

Did I mention low range first is 70:1 at the axle & 65 MPH cruise is at 2650 RPM? And that it passes P-38 4.6 Range Rovers uphill in the mountains while getting better fuel mileage? You are not going to get that with a GM/Rover 3.9.

msggunny
03-16-2009, 04:26 AM
Its been asked before:

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5490

Im not saying dont do it, but after doing a lot of research it seems better to go with something else.

Unless you just happen to have the entire drive train laying around looking for a home...

Firemanshort
03-16-2009, 07:01 AM
With more 25 y/o Def's coming from the UK and the Stage One's flowing into the US... the easiest money may be in just getting one of those 'real' V8's instead of making one. Back when Teri-Ann built her work of art - there were not as many legal factory choices available.

Making one would be real cool and a lot of fun - but looking at time and money... buying a factory built one may be smart.

(When did smarts come into Land Rover ownership?)