PDA

View Full Version : RHD Questions ?

jrd51ox
03-16-2009, 01:57 PM
I recently started looking for my first Land Rover Series I, II, IIA, or III. However, not knowing if RHD vehicles are legal in NJ has caused me to drastically limit my choices.

Are there any NJ residents out there that can clear this issue up for me? Or know where or who I can find this info from?

Also, for RHD owners located anywhere out there, is getting acclimated to it difficult? Should I be nervous about buying a RHD?

Thanks
:D

leafsprung
03-16-2009, 02:04 PM
should be legal. Its easy to get used to. Resale values are not as high but RHD has some advantages.

msggunny
03-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Also, for RHD owners located anywhere out there, is getting acclimated to it difficult? Should I be nervous about buying a RHD?

They take some getting used to, but overall it depends on the self confidence of the driver.

Once you get used to it its no big deal, you just have to pay attention to what your doing and if your not paying attenion while driving a Series you will end up with lots of other issues. driving on the wrong side of the truck will be the least of your worries...

galen216
03-16-2009, 02:14 PM
RHD is not illegal, how would you get your mail otherwise?

I had a RHD and liked it alot. I had no issues adjusting to it.

Only problem when I got in my DD was that I would use the windshield wipers for turn signals!

LaneRover
03-16-2009, 08:05 PM
The first time or two that you drive it you will feel like an inebriated monkey. Then it will be fine. The only thing to watch out for is cutting a lefthand turn too close because you are used to being on that side of the vehicle.

Paying for parking at a garage and tolls can be a slight bit interesting. But if you have a dog lots of people will take picks of the dog driving the Rover!

Brent

thixon
03-16-2009, 10:46 PM
my first was a righty. I liked it. Once I got used to it, I actually preferred it over a lefty.

Terrys
03-17-2009, 05:58 AM
Paying for parking at a garage and tolls can be a slight bit interesting.
Never mind that, it's a pain in the butt backing thru MacDonalds Drive Thru. Got to say, the My son's Mini Cooper is easier, the difference between LHD and RHD is about a foot.

Seriously though, it doesn't take anytime at all to get used to. Best to avoid series trucks that don't have side windows in back, as visability becomes an issue.

LaneRover
03-17-2009, 10:34 AM
Never mind that, it's a pain in the butt backing thru MacDonalds Drive Thru. Got to say, the My son's Mini Cooper is easier, the difference between LHD and RHD is about a foot.

Seriously though, it doesn't take anytime at all to get used to. Best to avoid series trucks that don't have side windows in back, as visability becomes an issue.

I backed through my share of drive up ATM's! Strangely enough the bit that took the most getting used to was parallel parking. I think that I am so used to being on the other side that it definitely took me longer with my RHD Rover.

Brent

Firemanshort
03-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Parallel parking? What greenlane trail has parallel parking :)

Actually, I have had to swing around and back out of the parking garage at work to get my access badge to swipe. People look at me like I am crazy. Then they see that my truck is RHD and then they look at me like I am really crazy.

(not much of a sense of humor inside Washington, DC near quiting time ;) )

Jeff Aronson
03-17-2009, 12:22 PM
The vast majority of Series II, II-A and III's in the US are obviously LHD. I share the same misty-eyed sentimentality, but I must recognize that RHD Rovers from the UK are not always better maintained than their US counterparts. It's much more acceptable there to swap our components and used aftermarket parts because the MOT is much more severe than most US state inspections. Also, some RHD components are "sided" for RHD cars, and will be harder to find in the US.

I can't speak to the NJ state regulations, but they can be registered and inspected in Maine.

There are fewer Series I's available at all, but perhaps the UK selection is greater than that in the US.

Good luck in your search,

Jeff

StX_Rovers
03-17-2009, 09:28 PM
Both of our Rovers are RHD, although the 109 started out as LHD but when we moved to St. Croix we swapped it over as part of the overhaul for the move. Especially with the earlier models, they are definitely oriented more towards RHD. The starter button or key is on the right side. The 4 wheel drive levers are on the right side. The clutch master cylinder is much easier to service. We drive on the left here but most of the cars are still LHD as they are US spec, so driving most cars here is just like driving a RHD up in Babylon. Makes no sense but it is part of the charm of the place. In the states, there will still be some minor inconvenience at toll booths and parking garages, but the opportunity to piss off uptight modern SUV drivers behind you that are talking on both of their cell phones figuring out how to design an even bigger financial debacle than AIG, Madoff or Stanford while you set the brake, lean over, slide open the window, realize that you are too close or too far away, then release seatbelt, jump out of truck, run around, and then remove ticket from ticket spitter outer should not be missed.

RHD can be problematic when passing slow moving traffic but that will not be a problem with a Series so a moot point. Personally, especially in the states, I would pay more for a RHD just for the eccentricity value but then again we think it is normal to use them for daily drivers. The newest car we own is a 70 Plymouth Road Runner.

As far as McDonald's drive throughs, that stuff will kill you so you shouldn't be stopping there anyway.:D

ktom300
03-18-2009, 12:03 PM
Took me all of about 2 trips to get used to it. Visibility out of my side window-less Lightweight soft top really sucks for right hand turns.
I don't think I'd have nearly as much fun driving it or get even 1/3 the looks with a LHD model.
I wouldn't trade my RHD for a LHD even if you threw cash on top of the trade.

pvkd
03-19-2009, 12:06 AM
The answer is simple:

Right hand drive is the way God intended people to drive.

Les Parker
03-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Hmm, no middle of the road for you, then?:eek:

KHiller
03-19-2009, 01:38 PM
Your problem is solved. I have a 1967 Series IIA, 109" SW NADA for sale. It's on ebay right now, item # 250392559924. Check it out.

jrd51ox
03-19-2009, 07:58 PM
WOW, thank you everyone for your replies. Very helpful infomation & funny as well.

KHiller, your rover is AWESOME, I just checked it out on eBay. However, I'm very excieted to say that sent out a deposit this morning for a 1972 Series III 88" in the same color as you. I have owned 2 discoveries & now a LR3, but I must say that buying a Series is a dream come true. Good luck.