PDA

View Full Version : Head bolts

Walker
03-16-2009, 09:38 PM
I want to re-torque the head bolts on my 2.25. I've looked in the Green Bible and in the Haynes shop manual. I can't find anything that makes reference to which bolt gets which torque. Does anyone know where I can find this info? I really don't want to pull all the bolts. Thanks.

thixon
03-16-2009, 10:18 PM
To make sure I'm clear, are you wanting to simply make sure your head bolts are torqued properly?

If not, what's your motivation? Did you recently change out a head gasket or replace the head?

In any case, you can find the proper torque and order in both the haynes manual and the green bible. I'm away from home right now, so I can't go check the page for you, but someone here should chime in shortly. There should be a chapter covering the cylinder head in the GB. There you should see the proper torque listed, along with the order in which to torque the head bolts. It will look like a drawing of the outline of the head if viewed from above. The postion of the head bolts will be laid out on the drawing, and they will numbered (representing the torque order).

Also, all the head bolts get the same torque>

navydevildoc
03-16-2009, 10:25 PM
Assuming you are talking the Petrol... Green Bible, Page 44-A1.

Step 5: Tighten the cylinder head and rocker shaft fixings in the order shown as follows:

1/2 UNF Bolts: 65 ft lbs
5/16 UNF bolts: 18 ft lbs

Walker
03-17-2009, 10:11 PM
Thanks Guys. I am tightening the head due to replacing the gasket. My question relates to Doc's response: which bolts are 1/2 and which 5/16? I have the torque patterns from the green bible. Let's hear it for the medics!

navydevildoc
03-17-2009, 10:48 PM
A buddy of mine is picking up his new Series and took my green bible just in case he had to wrench on it on the way home. When he gets back tonight I will look... there was a diagram on the page before that shows which is which if I remember right.

Glad to be a help!!! That's what Corpsmen do!

StX_Rovers
03-19-2009, 06:31 AM
Thanks Guys. I am tightening the head due to replacing the gasket. My question relates to Doc's response: which bolts are 1/2 and which 5/16? I have the torque patterns from the green bible. Let's hear it for the medics!
The 1/2" bolts are the big ones that use a 3/4" (I think) socket. There are 18 of them. The 5/16" bolts are the 5 smaller ones that go through the rocker shaft stands.