PDA

View Full Version : Dash Plate for Switches/Guages

wbrock
03-18-2009, 03:14 PM
I've been searching high and low for a dash plate to mount auxiliary switches and guages in my late series IIa. I want to put the plate in the empty spot to the right of the steering wheel column. The plates for the late IIa have rounded edges. Nobody stocks them, a few of the individuals I've tried don't have any, and fabricating one isn't going to be the most economical or authentic route. If anyone has one, or has any suggestions, please, please let me know (preferably by direct email). I could use one of the standard flat plates and/or one of the pieces that covers the wiper motors (has a raised face). Thanks!
Walker
walkerbrock@yahoo.com

Eric W S
03-18-2009, 06:24 PM
Ebay UK. I know there is a seller that makes them.

Cosmic88
03-18-2009, 07:51 PM
I'd think getting ahold of a piece of (same gague) aluminum sheet would be the simplist and most cost effecitve solution for you. Round a few corners, drill a few holes and wham bam, thank you...uh, kind lady. And if authenticity is a concern then no plate is necessary.

Just some silly thoughts...

siiirhd88
03-18-2009, 08:30 PM
I've used 1/4 inch thick plexiglass or lexan for aux panels. The thickness is about exact and the edges can be sanded to match the curve of the factory panels. If using the Lucas toggle switches the back side can be thinned to about 1/8 inch thick or less using a router. When sanded and painted you can't tell they aren't aluminum. Plexi is more prone to cracking than Lexan.....

Bob

hughwilton
03-18-2009, 10:47 PM
I purchased my dash plates from Wise Owl a few years ago. They might still sell them.

pvkd
03-18-2009, 11:56 PM
Try Pangolin 4x4

http://www.pangolin4x4.com/pangolin4x4/products/usedparts/usedparts/accessories/index.htm

109 Pretender
03-19-2009, 08:14 AM
I think Ike has them used on his website (pangolin4x4) or maybe George at RDS. I followed the earlier suggestions and made my own out of 0.063 alum. Cut oversized and rolled the edges over a wood blank w/hammer. Looks exactly like orig. except that I painted all my panels w/Blk. Crinkle paint (Eastwood) - which I like better than the plastic that was vulcanized on the dash panels originally.

It's a very easy project even if you've never worked w/metal - give it a try!

Good Luck!

Jim-ME
03-19-2009, 09:04 AM
I got mine from Ebay-UK. I don't see any listed currently but it was excellent.
Jim

wbrock
03-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Thanks everyone! If one doesn't turn up in the next week or so, I think you've inspired me to make my own ...

S11A
04-02-2009, 01:50 PM
We should sticky this one:

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3519&highlight=s11a

rovertek
04-02-2009, 06:08 PM
i have used <gauto@localnet.com>