PDA

View Full Version : Strange Gearbox leak?!

series 3 guy
03-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Hi guy's. Before I left the UK I had my indy guy top off the Gearbox oil,over drive oil and the all diff fluids just to be on the safe side for my trip to the US.
I have a leak that appears to be comming from the top of the gearbox.It "appears" to be coming from somewhere around the Gear Leaver bracket assembly?? Not to sure.I cant see under the alum tumnnel. Is it possible that this oil leak may be due to overfilling somehow?? I have Never had a leak on my series III and I am very attentive and would have noticed any sort of leak before. I have driven it about 200 miles since the top up and its during those 200 miles that I have noticed the strange leak.
I am running a 2.25 petrol engine mated with a standard 4 speed syncromesh gearbox with a fairey OD on my 109.
Does anyone have any ideas as this is getting me slightly concerned. Any help would be much appreciated.-Andy

canuck
03-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Well, I am impressed that you have never had a leak under your S-III. Mine has never "not" had a leak under it. Anyway, I have noticed that mine leaks a bit more right after it is filled and tapers off after a bit. I made up a dipstick to make checking the oil level easier. Best to clean it up if you can't see where it is coming from now, then give her a run and apply some CSI skills to see what shows up.....

Linus Tremaine
03-21-2009, 09:21 PM
You are probably leaking from your selector shaft seals. There are three of them, small little o-rings sealing the selector shafts as they enter the top cover of the transmission. This is a common leak area and while you can change them, the design of the seal is fairly poor and it is unlikely that you will be able to get them to stop leaking. You can perhaps get them to leak less.. but its so much work to get at them that its not probably worth bothering unless you are in there for another reason. Both of my rovers leak from here, even the one with 2000 miles on a rebuilt transmission.

greenmeanie
03-22-2009, 12:47 AM
Start with the simple stuff.
1. Check your gearbox oil level.
2. Check the gearbox breather is clear.

Finally replace the selector rod seals. There is a commonly documented trick of using 5/8 heater hose instead of OEM seals that works wonders sealing up this area and only costs cents.

I Leak Oil
03-22-2009, 06:36 AM
Could be the selector seals, but I've found the breather leaks more often, especially after topping up the gearbox. The removable type of filler cap/breather leaks like no tomorrow, if that's what you have. If you're concerned your best bet is to remove the tunnel a have a look. It's the only way to really know.
Jason T.

Terrys
03-22-2009, 06:43 AM
Andrew, Park in your neighbors yard till the level seeks it's natural state. The guy probably gave the pump an extra squeeze, and they sling the extra oil pretty good. I wouldn't get all hung up on it. You could always check with Ian to be certain.:D

series 3 guy
03-22-2009, 10:07 AM
Andrew, Park in your neighbors yard till the level seeks it's natural state. The guy probably gave the pump an extra squeeze, and they sling the extra oil pretty good. I wouldn't get all hung up on it. You could always check with Ian to be certain.:D Terry your a prat!! LOL!
Your probobly right. I've never had a leak with her before. I've always had a tight truck seal wise untill now after the oill top up.So it makes sense...I will have the tunnel off today and have a look. Cheers.

P.S- I just got my tickets to the Chatsworth Country Fair yesterday. I can't wait to get back to Bakewell !!

JackIIA
03-22-2009, 12:36 PM
GreenMeanie -

Can you point me in the direction of where I can get the details on 5/8 hose trick as a seal? I'll be rebuilding mine and I might as well head off trouble where I can. Thanks.

Les Parker
03-23-2009, 04:37 PM
Was just in Chatsworth 3 weeks ago, stopped at the awesome farm shop for lunch, mmmm, was a good lunch too.
First time I had seen so many deer roaming around the countryside, with snow still on the ground!

:)

http://c7716.r16.cf2.rackcdn.com/RN-Forum/users/Les/Chatsworth-2009-001.jpg

http://c7716.r16.cf2.rackcdn.com/RN-Forum/users/Les/Chatsworth-2009-002.jpg

TSR53
03-24-2009, 09:19 PM
Les, just updated your photos you emailed me - good for a bump even though it is a tad off topic...

series 3 guy
03-24-2009, 10:59 PM
AWSOME PICTURES!! I lived in Bakewell for a while. I was realy spoilt by such Beauty. I would get up and hike into the Estate every other day. There are very few places I would call spiritual to me but Chatsworth is certainly one of those places. My friend Tom's Aunt works in the Garden center there. I'm glad you had a good time. You realy should return when spring arrives. It's only then you can see the wonderful work of Paxton and Brown in all it's glory.

series 3 guy
03-24-2009, 11:03 PM
Les...by chance you wern't there while visiting my friend at Paddock's spares in Matlock were you??? If you were, have you seen his collection of vintage cars he keeps tucked away??

Les Parker
03-25-2009, 08:06 AM
Well, I just had to share!
Thanks for posting them.

:cheers:

Batemans was good too !

Les Parker
03-25-2009, 09:41 AM
No, I did not visit during my trip through Matlock.
Went from Chatsworth, via Newark to my old stomping ground in Lincoln.
Had a great time, no gearbox leaks though!
Sadly, I was driving a rented Honda Jazz !

series 3 guy
03-25-2009, 10:22 AM
No, I did not visit during my trip through Matlock.
Went from Chatsworth, via Newark to my old stomping ground in Lincoln.
Had a great time, no gearbox leaks though!
Sadly, I was driving a rented Honda Jazz !
Oh dear....a Honda Jazz...........

Actualy ,probably OK for tooling around the Countryside. Lincoln eh'? So I take it your a Northern boy then? Brilliant. I Am an American,but I have spent nearly my entire adult life in the UK in and around Darbyshire. I will be Moving back at the end of this year but already miss it terribly. Thank's for sharing the Pic's...I can almost remember standing in those exact same places when taking pictures for myself...great memories. Cheers.