PDA

View Full Version : Rear tire mount:

jrd51ox
03-23-2009, 10:08 PM
Hello everyone! What pieces are needed to mount a spare on the rear full door of a Series III ???? Should be a simple project. However, I'm having a tough time finding the pieces on RoversNorth.

Thanks again.

crankin
03-23-2009, 10:28 PM
You'll put a lot of stress on the door and could possible break the door from the hinges. If you don't care to drill holes into your tub you might look at a swing away.

But here is another thread with all the info you need.

https://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3383

jrd51ox
03-23-2009, 10:44 PM
It already has the holes, so drilling shouldn't be neccesary. But I don't want to take a chance and break the door from the hinges.

rwollschlager
03-23-2009, 10:53 PM
if you really like the idea of the tire on the rear door definalty look into the swing a way. I have one fitted to my 109 and it looks and performs great with no signs of damage to the body (warping etc). Some vehicles do have a 3rd hinge installed to help bear the extra load however i have no personal experience of that modification some one else on here probably does.

hughwilton
03-24-2009, 12:40 AM
Keep in mind that if you off road and your tire is mounted in it's original, lower position, on the rear door you stand a chance of badly damaging your door. The tire can strike the ground while you're decending a ledge etc and bend the door in. (I speak from experience). I replaced the door with one from a 110 which is supposed to be stronger, higher mounting point, and has a third hinge. That door frame developed cracks from the tire weight so I invested in a Mantec swing away tire carrier. Problem solved. Perhaps you can skip all of the intermediate steps I took & go straight away to a swing away carrier.

Jim-ME
03-24-2009, 05:27 AM
Check out the carrier that Ike Goss is building for his white 88 rebuild. Now that is a tire carrier.
Jim

Bertha
03-24-2009, 06:53 AM
Hello everyone! What pieces are needed to mount a spare on the rear full door of a Series III ???? Should be a simple project. However, I'm having a tough time finding the pieces on RoversNorth.

Thanks again.

Rovers North definitely sells the parts and dont be scared away from using the spare on the rear door. I have run 2 truck for years this way with no damage to the door, in fact some times I even use the spare as a step ladder(not recommended) to get to the roof rack, and still havent damaged anything.

rovertek
03-24-2009, 07:14 AM
the rear spare wheel carrier mounted on the door will work fine if not abused, if you are running 16 in. and using a trailer hitch you might want to relocate it up to the top position on the door (check for tyre to hitch clearence) and install a 3rd hindge which will hold the door more securely " i have used ones" <gauto@localnet.com>

Jeff Aronson
03-24-2009, 08:26 AM
With 15" tires, the rear mount will not present a problem off roading. The 16" wheel/tire should be mounted higher as advised above because in a very steep ascent, you might dip the rear end of the car against an obstacle.

As for strain on the door, I've never experienced it because of the weight of a tire. The inside steel frame of a Rover door is pretty impressive. Land Rover offered the spare on the bonnet, the rear door, or inside the car behind the rear bulkhead.

A swing away, like the Defender ones, is a nice touch, but just another thing to open to get at the rear of the car.

I prefer the bonnet mount for reasons other than strain on the door.

Jeff

Les Parker
03-24-2009, 10:14 AM
Here is a link to RN's page, detailing the rear spare wheel carrier for the Series rear door.
Please advise the parts that are missing from your vehicle.

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/c-94-rear-tailgate.aspx

Eric W S
03-24-2009, 02:22 PM
A swing away, like the Defender ones, is a nice touch, but just another thing to open to get at the rear of the car.

Huh? The NAS ST and SW both had OEM Carriers that opened with the door? I have even seen the NAS tailgate and carrier installed on an 88. David Cooper did one. Kinda nice to have.

rwollschlager
03-24-2009, 07:37 PM

Jeff

I like the swingaway because it holds my rear door shut when it wants to flap in the wind on the freeway (rare, but it has happened...) I think of it as an insurance policy with tire carrying benefits. :D

ybt502r
03-28-2009, 09:12 PM
I've got my spare on the rear door of my SIII. It's been there since I got it (five years now) with absolutely no issues. My door does have the third hinge, which I know is supposed to help a fair bit. As far as I can tell, the parts are just part of the door (big long bolts). My spare is stock (no big rubber), so that might be why it works as designed.

I put the spare there as I didn't wish to deal with the weight of the tire on the hood (being as I have to have the hood up on occasion). The only issue for me with the spare on back has been to watch it when I open the door when the vehicle is not level - it either will really try to squeeze you between the frame and door or want to fall away. You have to know where the door is at any point when you open it.