PDA

View Full Version : Paint for a kodiak heater

vkjar
03-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Well now that winter is over (trying not to think of the 6" of fresh snow that just fell) I am rebuilding my Kodiak heater. I am having it media blasted to clean off all the old paint and rust then I will repaint, etc.

Looking at the old paint it seems to have a textured crinckled finish. Anyone know what type of paint this is and where I could possibly find it? The only similar finish I know of is the "hammered" finish that I can get in spray bombs.

Its not a big deal but I would like to use something similar.

Any suggestions. Cheers

leafsprung
03-24-2009, 10:16 AM
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&itemID=106&keyword=wrinkle%2Cfinish%2Cpaints&cm_mmc=PMD_SE-_-Google-_-Paint-_-wrinkle_paint

Bertha
03-24-2009, 10:35 AM
If you are looking for something longer lasting than the Eastwood stuff, you could have it powdercoated in the wrinkle finish. This is a more durable solution with the only difference being that the wrinkle-powdercoat usually comes out a little finer(if you really want to be picky)most people wouldn't notice the difference.

thixon
03-24-2009, 12:34 PM
RustOleum has a wrinkle finish that can be bought at lowes/depot/menards/ace/takeyoupick. Only problem is that its like any other rattle can finish in that its not as durable as a two part paint. I've also seen people use the rattle can bed liner spray for a finish like this. That won't come out just like it, but does have a rough finish and is tougher than rattle can paint. Just a thought.

Eric W S
03-24-2009, 02:18 PM
If you are looking for something longer lasting than the Eastwood stuff, you could have it powdercoated in the wrinkle finish. This is a more durable solution with the only difference being that the wrinkle-powdercoat usually comes out a little finer(if you really want to be picky)most people wouldn't notice the difference.

I thtink they have an application that can make the crinkle larger...

Bertha
03-24-2009, 02:23 PM
I thtink they have an application that can make the crinkle larger...

Been through it already and unfortunately they have been unsucessful.

Eric W S
03-24-2009, 08:30 PM
Been through it already and unfortunately they have been unsucessful.

Ouch.... Sorry to hear about that.:(

Donnie
03-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Well now that winter is over (trying not to think of the 6" of fresh snow that just fell) I am rebuilding my Kodiak heater. I am having it media blasted to clean off all the old paint and rust then I will repaint, etc.

Looking at the old paint it seems to have a textured crinckled finish. Anyone know what type of paint this is and where I could possibly find it? The only similar finish I know of is the "hammered" finish that I can get in spray bombs.

Its not a big deal but I would like to use something similar.

Any suggestions. Cheers
If you are down to bare metal, I sprayed mine with a self etching primer, and a hammered finish paint that I got at the hardware store..The primer I got a spray can from a body shop..The other fron the local Tru Value.I like the results, they may not please the purists, but I had my seats done in leather too..It only has to please me..good luck.....

daveb
03-26-2009, 04:02 PM
completely disassembled mine back in 2001 and painted with several layers of rustoleum red primer and followed with black. disheartened to find many new rust-throughs when pulling it apart last year to change the core. welded up all the holes and did it in POR15. it ain't wrinkly but its well protected.

(you can quote me on that) :eek:

vkjar
03-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks everyone, I have seen and used a few of the products mentioned, I was just wondering if there was a more authentic look to the original paint. although my truck will never be a show piece! I still have to get it stripped, then I will decide if I want a powdercoat or a spray bomb finish, sort of leaning to the powdercoat but we will see.

cheers