PDA

View Full Version : 2.25 L Exhausts

Jim-ME
03-24-2009, 11:57 AM
After getting my rear diff problem addressed my Rover is quiet enough that I can hear the other issues it has. The next one to be addressed is the exhaust from the manifold back. I've looked at the stainless unit that our host sells and sticking with a stock system. I'm looking for advice on if the stainless system is that much better than going with stock. Thanks,
Jim

luckyjoe
03-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Jim,

I just kept my eyes open for discounted stock, and was able to get genuine LR sections for ~$100 - courtesy of our hosts discount pages. In the process I switched from LH to RH exit, but was able to get a exMod intermidiate pipe rather than a SW version in the process. I prepped and did them up with hi-temp aluminum paint. They look pretty good and are ready to fit...

Tom P.

thixon
03-24-2009, 12:30 PM
A good stainless system can last twice as long as an aluminized steel system, but you pay for it! Notice the "can" in there. How much you drive the truck, and what type of driving you do will dictate the life of the exhaust (obviously). There's tons of info on the web on how long exhausts will last, so do a search and read. I've resurected plenty of old brit cars with the original exhaust still in place after 40 years.

If it makes you feel good to own nice stuff then buy the stainless. If not, then buy the standard. If you don't want to fool with it, you can have a local shop bend up an exhaust for you for cheap (less than $200 out the door, easy).

Jeff Aronson
03-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Stainless systems can last longer than the conventional Land Rover exhausts.

I've used stock systems on my Rovers for nearly 20 years. When my exhausts have need parts replacement, it's often at the flanges, or at the point on the pipes where the clamps secure them to the frame. I've only had one muffler actually rust through. I'm very happy with the stock exhausts, but there's little question that the stainless exhausts will have a longer life.

Jeff

TedW
03-24-2009, 01:27 PM
It's still going strong after 16 Maine winters.

Maybe I was just lucky, but I sometimes wonder how many mild steel exhausts I'd have gone through by now if I hadn't gone the stainless route. We live on the coast, so my sled gets the double whammy of road salt AND salt air. You don't get the salt air (even when the tide's in on the Penobscot!) but the road salt, as you know all too well, does plenty of damage.

Just my $0.02.

greenmeanie
03-24-2009, 01:47 PM
My 88 truck came from the PO 10 years ago with a bog standard, I'm not even sure aluminized, steel exhaust. It's just about showing some light surface rust now but if I pressure wash the muck off it is comes up almost as good as new. The desert has some advantages. As Ted suggests, it all depends on where you are in the world.

Eric W S
03-24-2009, 02:05 PM
I am going to say skip the stainless exhaust. I bought one from our hosts for a D-90 and the welds rusted rather quickly. The NRP is not the last exhaust system you will buy. :mad:

Find yourself a local exhaust shop that does custom work. You can replicate the NRP in 304 and if welded correctly, shouldn't rust and should be comparable or cheaper than the NRP.

I for one am sticking with the original. Cheap, easy, and I could care less if a section gets damaged while off roading. Cheap enough to replace.

EwS

BackInA88
03-24-2009, 03:29 PM
I bought a stock exhaust with all the mounting brackets and hangers from our hosts on a free shipping weekend last fall and it still looks good.
But I don't drive it all that much in the winter.

Couldn't see going with the NRP with all the stories about the welds rusting.
I'm sure it would take a while to rust through the weld but damn for that kind of money they can't use stainless welding wire?

Steve