PDA

View Full Version : HELP !! Heater core issues

jedurso
03-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Hi I'm new to this site and can really use so help. I have a 90 RR with the 3.9 engine.
I got to work today and got out and looked under the car and out came all the coolant. my friend came up and said that my floor boards were soaked as well and it was my heater core. well some research later and i discovered that the part is about $200 not to metion labor. times are tough and i realy cant afford this job to be done. Right now its bypass ( looped a piece of hose ) so i can get home. Can i keep it bypass without having to worried about it effecting the car ie over heating, circulation, things like that. Is there a better way to bypass it? I live in south florida and have summer year round. the coldest it gets is 60. so i don't have to worried about heat. any advice would be great. thanks

acpatsouris
03-24-2009, 01:41 PM
Keeping the bypass in place shouldn't create any other issues.

Les Parker
03-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Bypass is fine, though ensure you have bled the coolant system, at the tower on the RH side (you probably still have the brass plug in !), make sure it is full to the top of the tower with coolant.

jedurso
03-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks guys. I put a better hose last night and filled up the coolant. I also replaces the coolant temp sensor and air filter so it was a very eventfull evening for my rover. but shes feeling all better. No leaks, no over heating, no smoke just riding fine. Thanks again

OkieRover
04-17-2009, 11:25 AM
well some research later and i discovered that the part is about $200 not to metion labor. times are tough and i realy cant afford this job to be done.

I wrote about my experience with the heater core on my website. You can do that job. It's a big mess and many hours of work but I think you will be happy when you are done knowing you did it yourself.
:thumb-up: