PDA

View Full Version : Weight of Transmission

JackIIA
03-26-2009, 11:21 PM
This should be a simple one, but besides 'heavy' I don't have a real answer.

What is the total weight of the transmission (bell housing, gearbox, transfer case, output shaft casing).

I would think it would be under specifications in the Green Book, but I didn't notice it.

FYI, I'm pulling the transmission, and will need to put the arm of my hoist fully out, so that is the impetus for the abstract question.

Thanks.

greenmeanie
03-27-2009, 01:12 AM
Well I just lifted one about 4 inches to get it under my bench so I would say it is definitely under 200lbs. What is the max weight at full extension of your hoist?

Apis Mellifera
03-27-2009, 06:45 AM
I had one shipped to me and I believe it was a little over 300 lbs as you describe. I have a 2 ton shop crane and I've done a gearbox R&R twice with the crane arm all the way out (500 lb setting)with no ill effects. In fact, I've made an extension that gives me about 4 additional feet of reach on top of that and use it to place engines up on a storage shelf. No problems there either.

JackIIA
03-27-2009, 09:00 AM
Apis M/GreenMeanie - that's great. Yes, it sounds like my hoist has the same range as A.M.'s - 2tons fully retracted, down to 500lbs fully extended. I just didn't want to have a snap, crackle, and crash. :nono:

So good to know that will work! Thanks.

JackIIA
03-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Came out like a charm! No weight issues at all (though I mispoke, my lowest hoist setting is 1/2 ton).

For anyone else pulling theirs (who hasn't before), the Green Book shows one lace of strapping at the neck of the trans. closest to the flare of the bellhousing. If you take this single point of strapping approach, which I did, you'll want to really put a good slip knot in there snug against the gearbox, the whole assembly wanted to drop toward the back, once it's free. Common sense tells you this would happen, but it still managed to surprise me. :D The slipknot tights up and prevented further slippage, and alittle counter pressure on the bellhousing made the rest of it easy.