PDA

View Full Version : Coolant pouring out front

SeriesShorty
03-27-2009, 02:35 PM
Wouldn't ya know it? The first day I decided to drive my truck to work I have a failure on the way home and end up parked back at the office all week.

As coolant steam flooded the interior (drove fine for about 1 mile until things warmed up). Pulled over and looked but couldn't find where the leak was coming from, just found everything wet from the steam spray. Poured some coolant in the radiator and it poured back out from somewhere at the front of the block.

Limped back to the office and found the lower hose seemed to have a rough spot around where it's clamped to the waterpump. Surely that must be a hole! Pulled the hose, and although the outside material is frayed, it is not busted. Doesn't look like the middle hose has a hole either but couldn't get it off with the tools I had available.

I'm going to do some more work this weekend and bring more tools from home that I'll need. But what the heck could make the coolant pour out as fast as I put it in if it wasn't a hose???

And the last few times I drove it I also noticed a groaning sound from the front like it was straining to turn the engine. Water pump failure?

SafeAirOne
03-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Sounds water-puumpish. Usually, they'll let you know before failing by squealing and howling. They'll also start off with a small leak and work thier way up to a huge leak, but not always.

Of course, it could be a hole in the radiator, too. Just have somebody run it up and have a look at where the green kool-aid is coming from. Watch out for the fan if you are fond of your fingers.

I Leak Oil
03-27-2009, 04:52 PM
Could be the radiator, hoses, water pump, waterpump gasket, head gasket, thermostat housing....They are all up front. Refill the system and get a pressure tester on it, put on a rain coat and let the fun begin! Don't look for it when the engine is hot...incase you didn't know.:D
Jason T.

SeriesShorty
03-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks guys. It's definately not the radiator although I did fix a pinhole at the top of the unit last week. The coolant poured from the front of the block somewhere with the engine off. I mean POURED out of it.

Time to break out the green bible and get prepared for taking the water pump off. I understand the military trucks could have either the 7 hole or the 9 hole water pump. I've tried to feel around the unit to count the holes but I can't reach all the way around to confirm in order to preorder a replacement. I know the replacement hoses that I bought a few weeks ago do not fit this engine.

Is there a certain year range/serial or anything else I could check that would confirm which water pump I had?

LaneRover
03-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Don't forget the small hose that goes between the block and the water pump.

The only time I had something like that happen it ended up being the fact that when I put the radiator hose on I didn't take off the 'Genuine parts' sticker and it got slippery and worked its way off. There is also a chance that I didn't tighten it quite enough but even if I didn't it took some time to come off.

Brent

SeriesShorty
04-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Ah-ha! I finally found the leak. I was able to get the bypass hose out today after work and found a long slit down the whole length of the hose. It wasn't where I could see or feel it before.

None of the hoses I bought and/or was given by friends fit the top or bottom to get it all put back together. But Les found what I needed and they are on the way.

Crossing my fingers that everything will be here friday so I can finish it up after work and on saturday before the weather turns bad again. Then I'll get to drive it and enjoy the difference that the new horse stall mat in the tub and the footwells makes; I barely got it all cut and installed before being disabled by a coolant hose farce.

I miss my truckie - he completes me!