PDA

View Full Version : Paint color

Jim-ME
01-20-2007, 09:27 AM
I am at the stage of thinking of repainting my Rover in stages. My daughter and I have decided that we want a dark green like a Series I that has a dull finish especially since it is exMOD. Can anyone help with paint codes or color descriptions for any of the paints available in the US? We have looked at Bronze Green and have decided that we want a darker color than that because it looks more "Land Roverish" (quote from my daughter). Any help would be appreciated.
Jim

PH4
01-20-2007, 10:24 AM
After having my Series painted I would offer the following advice: 1) if you are having someone else paint it make sure they are very clear as to what does not get painted such as galvinized trim 2) remove everything you can befoe taking it to the paint shop 3) paint codes are good but I would suggest purchasing thepaint from Rovers North or other Rover dealer as even with paint codes the color from one paint shop to another can vary. I believe the Series 1 green (dark green) was left over paint from WII spitfires. Should not be too difficult to track down.

Jim-ME
01-20-2007, 11:19 AM
I plan on having the same shop do all the painting unless the first run is really screwed up so I hope that matching will not be a problem. I appreciate the heads up.
Jim

yorker
01-20-2007, 11:27 AM
Matching paint can be fun, I have a can of 1960s rover touch up paint in Marine Blue- it is distinctly different- more grey than the unexposed unoxidized sections of marine blue on my truck- to make matters more confusing I have seen trucks painted marine blue using the #s commonly available and that doesn't match either sample I have.

Best bet would be to find a color matched to a sample you like and get enough paint made up at once, consider getting a pint or so for touch up too.

Dav1550
01-20-2007, 12:00 PM
When painting in stages be sure to get enough paint to cover every thing you intend to have coated form the start..... For there can be slight variations between batches of the same color, which can be more apparent in a finish that does not have a clear coat.

To give a bit of an idea....... In painting a 109sw in pieces ended up using 2 gal. of pastel green and near 1 gal of limestone...... PPG concept/acrylic urethane

Dave

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l16/Raincrow1/100_0822.jpg

fruitpunch
01-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Hmmm.....

I would say...

http://www.landrover.net/paint/

PH4
01-20-2007, 03:11 PM
The paint codes are helpful but it really depends who mixes it. They mixed three batches of the sand color before they even came close to get it right. I had instructed them not to spray the whole thing until we did a test patch. As is common, they did not listen and they ended up repainting the 109 twice. First batch was more pink then sand.

Jim-ME
01-20-2007, 06:54 PM
Boy all of you have been very helpful. Thanks so very much.
Jim