PDA

View Full Version : Transfer box

vkjar
04-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Having spent most of Sunday on my back underneath my IIa and while changing fluids and seals I had the T. box plate off, while inspecting the gears I grabbed the (excuse the wording) tallest gear mid cluster at the bottom of the box, I think it is the Low Gear Wheel. Please correct me. It is loose, wobbles back and forth. I assume this is Not normal (or is it?). I found nothing suspicious in the old oil. Any ideas. Thanks

Tim Smith
04-07-2009, 09:57 AM
It's been too long. I don't remember the large gear's function...

Was the wobble one that would seem like a bearing failure or was it just a gap in the selecting fork (if there is one on that gear). The former is trouble while the latter might not be.

greenmeanie
04-07-2009, 10:18 AM
The large low range gear in the transfer case is a slide fit on a splined shaft so there is a small amout of play due to the slip fit on the splines. It should be pretty minimal though. If you have extensive wobbling then I would say you have worn splines.

As splines tend to wear in pairs you can check this by sliding the gear all the way forward and looking at the wear pattern on the shaft.

I've got a transfer case on the shelf in my office at home so I'll have a pke in there tinight unless someone else can can pprovide a better answer.

CliftonRover
04-07-2009, 01:40 PM
yes the large gear is for the low range. what is the extent of the wobble? the play in the gear should be for the most part in the direction of turning the gear, not side to side (except for the full engagement and disengagement of the gear)

vkjar
04-07-2009, 04:06 PM
It seemed like the "wobble" in the gear was as if the hole on the gear was slightly larger than the shaft it slides on. Now I did not look to see if there was any wear on the shaft when things were apart. I will have to get back under the truck again, maybe this weekend, if not it will have to be at the end of the month after my trip to Death Valley (sans Rover unfortunately).