PDA

View Full Version : Diff Third Member Mounting Bolts

navydevildoc
04-06-2009, 06:35 PM
In the continuing saga of my snapped axles, I now have a new problem.

I had to remove the diff from the axle to fish out all of the bits-o-axle from the diff housing. In the process of removing it I found a SPO trick; all sorts of nuts, at least 3 different kinds holding it on.

We have an outstanding industrial hardware store here in San Diego, so I grab some of the nuts and head down there so I can get nice new stainless ones. However, at least one of the nuts was stripped out, and the ones I had didn't really fit the "nut sizer" board.

It's 3/8s inch, but not fine or course thread. I am thinking that this means they are one of those awesome British standards, but I want to be sure before I try hunting some replacements down.

I am also going to need to get some new bolts, as several are stripped out. Yay for me. I am thinking the easiest way to get them out is to break out the angle grinder and chop off the ends of each as close to the axle housing as I can, and then back them out through the inside.

So... are they "uniquely british" as I fear? The Bible doesn't say.

gudjeon
04-06-2009, 08:22 PM
I would not rule out metrix either.:eek:

Mercedesrover
04-06-2009, 08:23 PM
They're 3/8" x 18. I have a pile of old studs and nuts around from axles I've converted to 'Yota centers. Give me an address and I'll ship you a pile.

jim

Mercedesrover
04-07-2009, 05:17 AM
Actually, they're 3/8" x 24, or at least the ones I have are. I put 10 studs and nuts in an envelope to you.

jim

daveb
04-07-2009, 09:15 AM
they are press in from the back. apply hammer to the front to remove...

I am also going to need to get some new bolts, as several are stripped out. Yay for me. I am thinking the easiest way to get them out is to break out the angle grinder and chop off the ends of each as close to the axle housing as I can, and then back them out through the inside.

So... are they "uniquely british" as I fear? The Bible doesn't say.

Eric W S
04-07-2009, 10:58 AM
We have an outstanding industrial hardware store here in San Diego, so I grab some of the nuts and head down there so I can get nice new stainless ones. However, at least one of the nuts was stripped out, and the ones I had didn't really fit the "nut sizer" board.

Don't waste your money on stainless for a diff. Grab the ones MercJim is offering and be done with it.

Les Parker
04-07-2009, 12:52 PM
I believe the Series II ones were BSF and held in with locking wire on the inside of the diff housing. !!
Quality British engineering !

:)

navydevildoc
04-08-2009, 12:22 AM
I believe the Series II ones were BSF and held in with locking wire on the inside of the diff housing. !!
Quality British engineering !

:)

Yes, they have safety wire going around the inside from bolt to bolt.

So now we have various answers to what these bolts are...

3/8 x 24? Didn't see this before now, too bad because I am pretty sure they are not 24 thread. We will know for sure when Jim's envelope arrives.

I am also pretty sure they are not press fit from the rear, but I will have to go out and check that real close. If memory serves from when I pulled one out, the diff housing had threaded holes.

They certainly are safety wired, in fact the wire had snapped on one side.

So am I back to thinking it's BSW or BSF?

Les Parker
04-08-2009, 07:48 AM
Hello,

The data I can find is :-

3/8 BSF taps = 3/8 x 20 BSF tap (http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/3/8 BSF taps = 3/8 x 20 BSF tap)

Hope this helps, alternatively you could replace with the later "press in " IIa/III studs.

navydevildoc
04-08-2009, 08:17 AM
Les, I might be calling you later this morning when I get in to work... see what my options look like.

Les Parker
04-08-2009, 01:28 PM
OK, let me know.

:thumb-up:

navydevildoc
04-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Well, Les at RN and Jim (mercedesrover), thanks for everything!

Unfortunately, I have had nothing but problems, not the least of which is now a stripped out drain plug. If it was the plug, that wouldn't be too bad. But it's the threads in the axle that simply vanished, and the plug wasn't even tight yet.

:mad:

To be honest, I have been thinking of dumping this axle anyway, and this just pushes me further down that path.

scott
04-14-2009, 02:31 PM
hey there devildoc, i once painted my my fill plug stuck. fearing i'd strip it, i did my diff oil change refills by removing a hub and axle, jacking that side of my truck up about 2 ft, pour the oil in.

you might be able to find a new bung hole, cut out the old and weld it in. or http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Ballistic-9-Axle-Housing_p_1608.html

navydevildoc
04-14-2009, 07:48 PM
Well, I have been doing some daydreaming on my master plan, and I might just make the big jump and get a coil frame (needs a new frame anyway) and get some D1 or RR axles for it.

A while ago I made the decision that this wasn't going to be a 100% accurate "restore" but much more of a "rebuild" of what I want. I have some cash to blow and enjoy wrenching on it... so the plan is looking like a coil chassis from Designa Chassis, and a 300tdi.

Looks like I am going to have a ton of time off of work in the summer so if I get my act together I can get a lot of it done.

So in the end, it means that this freaking axle/diff disaster doesn't matter, as there will be a new chassis and axles sitting next to the truck soon.

Eric W S
04-15-2009, 08:32 AM
Well, I have been doing some daydreaming on my master plan, and I might just make the big jump and get a coil frame (needs a new frame anyway) and get some D1 or RR axles for it.

A while ago I made the decision that this wasn't going to be a 100% accurate "restore" but much more of a "rebuild" of what I want. I have some cash to blow and enjoy wrenching on it... so the plan is looking like a coil chassis from Designa Chassis, and a 300tdi.

Looks like I am going to have a ton of time off of work in the summer so if I get my act together I can get a lot of it done.

So in the end, it means that this freaking axle/diff disaster doesn't matter, as there will be a new chassis and axles sitting next to the truck soon.

Wow! That's going to be an extremely expensive build given the cost of a 300tdi these days...

But sounds cool even from a traditionalist like myself...Post pics!

JSBriggs
04-15-2009, 12:03 PM
If you are going for coils, keep your eyes open for a cheap Disco or RRC with 24 spline axles. You will have everything you need once your frame arrives to get it rolling.

-Jeff

Les Parker
04-15-2009, 12:23 PM
We do get good used rear axle assy's from time to time, price is around $250.00.

Just a thought....

navydevildoc
04-15-2009, 01:02 PM
If you are going for coils, keep your eyes open for a cheap Disco or RRC with 24 spline axles. You will have everything you need once your frame arrives to get it rolling.

-Jeff

Yup... we have a huge wrecking yard here in SD that is all european. Three classics down there right now.

navydevildoc
04-15-2009, 01:03 PM
Wow! That's going to be an extremely expensive build given the cost of a 300tdi these days...

But sounds cool even from a traditionalist like myself...Post pics!

Yeah, I am guessing ~5K for the tdi, another 1.5-2K for the frame, plus additional bits like axles and what not.

navydevildoc
04-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Well, called Designa-Chassis in the UK this morning, spoke to a wonderful lady on the phone who informed me that they no longer ship abroad due to damage of the frame happening more often than not.

So I am going to have to find a shop that regularly sends containers over and see what I can do to "hitch a ride" to get the chassis here.

I need to call back and speak to someone else (I didn't quite get the name of who) who can tell me whether they can put the 300tdi mounts right on it and the lead time it would take.