PDA

View Full Version : anyone here in Charleston, sc?

thixon
04-08-2009, 03:37 PM
I saw a limestone 88 today. Either an siii or late iia with a soft top. I saw it from a distance, but it appeared to have a roof rack mounted with the soft top in place. Nice trick. If you're on this board, how'd you do that?

scott
04-08-2009, 08:23 PM
trav it wasn't me but i'm building a full rack for my soft top. starting with 2 2" c channel cut about 2" long. picture the c openning down, one behind the driver's seat on the bulkhead 5" from the corner. the other going on the driver's side tub rail about 5" back. next i connect these w/ some 2x1/4" flat stock running diagnally inside the tub, welded towards the bottom of the c channels and flat side parallel to the deck. go to the outside of the one on the tub rail and weld a 2" piece of 2" ankle iron such the the verticle of the angle iron is welded to the side of the c channel that's on the outside of the tub and the horizontal side sticks out perpendicular to the tub. on this "tab" i'll weld a 2" piece of pipe that has an id of 1". i'll make four of these, one for each corner of the tub. now i slide some 1" gavanized emt into the pipe so that it runs up to support the rack. then two more 1" emt with the ends squished and drilled to go on the outside of the windscreen hinges. i figure this will not interfer w/ the canvas and i could still drop the windscreen with the rack on or off.

dmurrell
04-10-2009, 08:43 AM
I've seen that truck a few times - it has a "NAS Style" roll cage through the outside of the tub and wings. The basket is mounted to the top of the cage. Last time I saw it, it was for sale.

PH4
04-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Do not know who it is but they just drove by my office on Meeting Street. I had a birds eye view and looks very similar to a safety devices type roll-cage.

thixon
04-15-2009, 07:46 AM
Scott,

I want to see some photos of that when you finish it. Sounds interesting. If it works out for you, I may copy your design:D !

Because I'm in georgia, the softop is the way to go, but I really need a way to carry a conoe, and some other stuff around.

Thanks,