PDA

View Full Version : Clamshell lock barrel replacement

green 'n stinky
04-09-2009, 01:07 PM
How does one replace the lock barrel in a clamshell (upper tailgate) latch on a series? I just upgraded my doors to anti burst latches and bought three matching lock barrels, hoping to finally be able to lock my tailgate, but I can't figure out how to remove the old barrel. Any help would be much appreciated.

kevin-ct
04-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Please let me know also. I have wanted to do the same and cant find how it's done.

Kevin

daveb
04-09-2009, 04:13 PM
I know I did this since I bought a 2nd hand gate without a key and now I have a key.

I seem to recall having to disassemble the whole shooting match including driving out some nearly invisible pins. But that was almost 10 years ago so you'll have to forgive my less than precise recall.

Other than that I do also remember the old SII parts book being somewhat helpful in showing the various pieces of the puzzle.

best of luck
Dave

How does one replace the lock barrel in a clamshell (upper tailgate) latch on a series? I just upgraded my doors to anti burst latches and bought three matching lock barrels, hoping to finally be able to lock my tailgate, but I can't figure out how to remove the old barrel. Any help would be much appreciated.

HybridIIA
04-09-2009, 07:32 PM
I just did this last weekend. There is a small pin that you need to drive out that is hidden under the mounting base. To get to it, remove the C-clip and slide off the spring and mounting base. I think the barrel is unique to the lift gate and the antiburst one won't fit - I could be wrong though. I bought my liftgate w/o a key & just took the barrel out & re-keyed it to my match my existing locks. Let me know if you need more info on how to do this.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t315/Mogly406/DSC06858.jpg

green 'n stinky
04-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, mine turned out to be completely rusted solid inside and I seem to have destroyed it trying to get the barrel out (and still couldn't get it out). I guess I'll just have to order a new latch.