PDA

View Full Version : cant get my 95 swb rr out of park ! help !

jimmybuffett
04-09-2009, 03:57 PM
looking for some help here, i cannot get my 95 swb rr out of park ! i changed the brake switch and still didnt work, no brake lights either. dont know if yhis matters but the SRS light on the dash blinks when the brake petal is depressed, and the brake indicator light on the dash seems to go in and out. the brake indicator light has been on for as long as i can remember. i checked all the fuses for the ABS and SRS -- any ideas -- thanks ----

Terrys
04-09-2009, 04:24 PM
Well it's deff your brake light circuit keeping you locked in park, but I can't say if it's because you put a new switch in and it's not adjusted, or you've upset something in the wiring at the plug. It's the fuse or switch 99% of the time; you've created that new 1% catagory.

jimmybuffett
04-09-2009, 04:37 PM
thanks-- i checked the SRS and ABS fuses under the dash ,and the fuses in the engine compartment -- did i miss one ?

jimmybuffett
04-12-2009, 05:25 PM
thank you all for your help -- i removed the new switch and jumped the wires -- and it worked - i guess the new switch is bad...

jgkmmoore
04-13-2009, 04:15 PM
That bites. They oughta sell those switches in a '4 bag' for the same price, so you wouldn't have to take 3 of 'em back. Junk . Been there. Out in the boondocks. Good thing it hadn't snowed yet.
If you buy a spare, be sure it tests good before depending on it !!!!!:mad:

donpaver
11-18-2013, 12:40 PM
OK, where is this switch located, under the dash by the brake pedal, or under the hood? I have the same problem.

DGG
11-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Under the dash by the brake pedal. Very easy job.

mearstrae
11-19-2013, 02:06 PM
I had the same problem a couple years ago while on a trip to North Carolina. Water had gotten into a rear light housing causing the brake light fuse to blow. I had to play musical fuses to get going again, as my spare fuses were missing, I stole one from a circuit I wasn't using. I removed the parking lock solenoid when I got home.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

o2batsea
11-20-2013, 06:44 AM
I removed the parking lock solenoid
This. Should be one every RRC owner's list right after removing or renewing the oil cooler lines.

donpaver
11-20-2013, 02:37 PM
Any chance you could point a fellow in the right direction as to where to find that, and any tips along the way?

o2batsea
11-21-2013, 04:00 PM
The lock out solenoid is found on the side of the shift lever "box". To access, and remove the solenoid, you must remove the center console surround. Not sure how this accomplished on a 95 as I have avoided that year as much as possible. I assume that you have to disassemble the shift lever, then pry up the position indicator bezel and dig down thru there until you expose the plate that the shifter box sits in.

Undo the screws from the side plate (6) and pop that sucker out. You don't need to mess with anything else in there. You can just leave the loose solenoid in the console in case you ever want to return it to original.

Blueboy
12-02-2013, 05:11 AM
I removed the parking lock solenoid when I got home.

so let me get this straight - one can just remove the solenoid without having to do anything else and not have to worry again about the stupid lock out situation??

94LWB

mearstrae
12-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Yes... Follow the picture put up by "o2" and Bob's Your Uncle.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

Blueboy
12-06-2013, 06:28 AM
Many thanks.

Best regards.

eugene
03-11-2014, 11:25 AM
The lock out solenoid is found on the side of the shift lever "box". To access, and remove the solenoid, you must remove the center console surround. Not sure how this accomplished on a 95 as I have avoided that year as much as possible. I assume that you have to disassemble the shift lever, then pry up the position indicator bezel and dig down thru there until you expose the plate that the shifter box sits in.

Undo the screws from the side plate (6) and pop that sucker out. You don't need to mess with anything else in there. You can just leave the loose solenoid in the console in case you ever want to return it to original.

I have '95 classic SWB.
I removed the solenoid, while I had the gear selector out. Now the transfer case selector will not move from "LOW". I have only "HI or LOW" selection. Do I need to jumper any wires or how the transfer case know that I am in neutral? I did lube the linkages. I did search on other forums and found nothing about this problem.
Thank you very much for reply.

o2batsea
03-11-2014, 11:52 AM
Yes there is a solenoid that locks the selector lever whenever the shifter is not in P or N.

eugene
03-11-2014, 03:40 PM
Thank you for reply. Is the solenoid I removed controlling it?
Something happened. I bought the truck @6 months ago and never tried to shift in LOW and maybe the person before me did not either. Could it be just stuck from lack of use?

o2batsea
03-12-2014, 06:50 AM
Is the solenoid I removed controlling it?
No There is another one on the transfer case shift lever base. It's held in place with M8 Allen head cap screws.

Could it be just stuck from lack of use?
Yes, absolutely. It's easiest to access from the top, so if you have the center console out still, this is the time to go after it. You will need the nylon bushes for the link pins. They tend to go to pieces. RN Part #RND648.
The rod ends may also be rusted. You can get new ones from McMaster-Carr. (http://www.mcmaster.com/#2448k47/=r26e86)

eugene
03-12-2014, 09:27 AM
Thank you again and for the details! I have it all together but will do it again. Will post, when fixed.

eugene
04-09-2014, 08:35 AM
Finally got it fixed! Turns out, that the linkage was not frozen. There is a one out of two microswitches, tied to the circuit that tells the transmission that is in neutral. Did not have to take the center console apart the third time, if I new. Live and learn. I spliced the two wires to unused air coil control switch and now I can shift with ease from LOW to HI. There are two yellow relays behind the glove box, the far left is the one and the far right is for the solenoid on the top of the transfer case, just for audible alarm.