PDA

View Full Version : Why won't the transfer case work!!??!!

hackneyed1
01-21-2007, 03:43 PM
Talk me down off of the ledge.....

Just bolted in a Hi-ratio xfer case into my IIA- The intermediate shaft helical gear DOES NOT CONTACT THE INPUT GEAR from the transmission!!

What am I missing here? The intermediate gear meshes with the output shaft, and I even swapped the old int. shaft back in and still no go (literally). Is there a different input gear? Is the case different (in the spacing for the intermediate shaft?) Can the input shaft be cocked?
There is currently a 1/16th of an inch gap between the gears.

Does the generation of gearbox mean anything? FWIW, I can't find any suffix stamp (where should it be? How big is it?)

Thanks for the help, I don't thinks there is a Solihull Crisis hotline...

-hackneyed1

leafsprung
01-21-2007, 09:42 PM
In order to make the ratio different, the gears have to be different diameters (from stock). Thus the high ratio t-case requires a custom mainshaft gear, which you apparently dont have. You are trying to use a stock mainshaft/input gear with the high ratio case. You need to find/buy the matching input gear.

TeriAnn
01-22-2007, 10:10 AM
Talk me down off of the ledge.....

Just bolted in a Hi-ratio xfer case into my IIA- The intermediate shaft helical gear DOES NOT CONTACT THE INPUT GEAR from the transmission!!

What am I missing here?

The Ashcroft gearbox output gear?

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LR.images/ahscroftKit.jpg
Ashcroft high ratio kit as delivered directly from Ashcroft

The Ashcroft high ratio kit consists of a reworked case (hole for intermediate gear shaft moved over a little), a new gear set and a transfercase gasket set. All the other parts get reused from your old transfer case.

You need all three gears from the kit. If you don't have the missing gear you might as well jump.:eek:

yorker
01-22-2007, 04:16 PM
Did you perhaps buy this 2nd hand from someone who was perhaps going to put it behind a SM435 or something?