PDA

View Full Version : plastic tubing?

MerlynIIa
04-12-2009, 05:53 PM
Probably a stupid question. I am taking apart my III. When I removed the seat box, I found plastic tubing that is clipped to the front of the tub just below the joint with the seat box. It extends from side to side and goes up through a rubber grommet into the void behind the driver's door striker plate on the tub, forming a loop there. the tubing it not attached to anything, but goes to the other side near where the gas tank had been (removed by Po) The tubing is similar to windshield washer tubing, black, plastic and has elbow joints to connect pieces of the tubing. The clips look factory but could be added later. It is not connected to anything. Anyone know what it is for?

jac04
04-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Extended axle case breather maybe?

greenmeanie
04-12-2009, 06:49 PM
It'll be the tubing to connect the main fuel tank on the passenger side to the expansion tank that should be under the front section of the rear wing on the driver's side. I have no idea why they chose the routing. There should be another section going from the expansion tank to the charcoal cannister in the engine bay.

kevin-ct
04-12-2009, 07:02 PM
It is a factory option, It is a pee tube for extend drives that we all take in a Series. :)

MerlynIIa
04-12-2009, 07:13 PM
I'll take a look for the charcoal canister and to give a better idea of the routing. it looked like it went back and forth from one side to the other, but may have had a disconnect near the rear drivers side wing. However, a Pee tube would be nice:)

thanks for the replies

crankin
04-12-2009, 09:19 PM
It goes to the expansion tank that is under the driver side.

LH Drive
04-12-2009, 09:25 PM
My '72 S3 also has the same black tube you mention routed the same way. It's not connected to anything but has a threaded male end hanging over the gas tank. My gas tank was replaced by the PO with a FoRover Forever stainless tank and I thought at one point the tube was connected to the original tank and served as a breather. Just a guess...

crankin
04-12-2009, 09:53 PM
By expansion tank..I mean the little box that fits under the driver side tub. I've heard it was for emissions. Not sure. I do know that you do not need it.

acpatsouris
04-13-2009, 02:29 PM
In case you wanted to see what was originally installed at the factory, here's a copy of the illustrated parts diagram:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3369/3439339654_c8e51633d9.jpg?v=0

rwollschlager
04-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Art,

are you gonna make it down for BBTS 09'???

-Rob

acpatsouris
04-13-2009, 03:58 PM
I'm thinking about it. I'm hoping to have something interesting to bring down for the show.

SafeAirOne
04-13-2009, 06:54 PM
By expansion tank..I mean the little box that fits under the driver side tub. I've heard it was for emissions. Not sure. I do know that you do not need it.

Removal of factory-installed emissions equipment an a motor vehicle is not permitted and is punishable by death (or worse) in California (and possibly Massachusetts too). ;)

MerlynIIa
04-13-2009, 08:23 PM
Thanks for settling this question for me. The forum is a great help!

Eric W S
04-14-2009, 07:56 AM
Anyone know what year that set up began in?

I would think my 65 would not have that from the factory. But hey, you never know :thumb-up:

crankin
04-14-2009, 08:40 AM
My '72 had a the remnants of one on it. I had to cut the bolts off and remove it....and patch the holes left behind.

As for the emissions removal punishments....I live in Tennessee, where we pour oil in creeks, shoot grey owls, and burn tires. Emission control is for hippies and tree huggers.