PDA

View Full Version : Restoring Individual Wiper Motors

oestlarsen
04-12-2009, 06:49 PM
My Series iia individual wiper motors are due a little work. One works, is pretty slow, and is at least functional.

The other, however, is not working. I suspect the previous owner always rode solo, and it thus sat idle for many years. There was surface rust on the rotor and I now have them cleaned so the insides move. They do not move when power is hooked up though.

I can't for the life of me get the black cover off the motor. I suspect the arm mechanism is not connected correctly, and I want to inspect and regrease all the sprockets etc.

1. Is there some kind of a trick to removing the black/lower cover off this motor, thus exposing all the sprockets? It pulls off about 1/3 inch, then is stuck.
2. When these motors fail - does anybody have a list of what I should check for?

Ultimately - I may buy a junker donor motor for parts, but so far I have not been able to identify the real issue. Would appreciate any guidance/help!

Thanks!

leafsprung
04-12-2009, 08:31 PM
there is a very small circlip on the shaft which needs to be removed. If you need parts I have them.

oestlarsen
04-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Thanks - this circlip, assume it is inside the black housing? If I only have 1/3 inch gap and can barely see inside, how would I go about removing it?

Does the round cylinder with notches (to allow for the manual operation of the wiper) attached to the shaft towards the top (other side of the assembly) come off somehow?

Guess these were not really meant to come apart...argh.

leafsprung
04-12-2009, 11:28 PM
circlip in on the shaft on the back of the housing. You need to remove the mounting block (two slotted nuts) before you can remove it. They come apart pretty easy. The circlip is tiny, be careful not to lose it.

KingSlug
04-13-2009, 09:06 AM
Check this link. I have a pretty through tear down and restoral process with pics.

http://vivalaant.wordpress.com/2007/01/24/series-rover-lucas-wiper-motor-refurbishment/

Jared

Cosmic88
04-13-2009, 07:02 PM
FWIW... I 'reconditioned' my wiper motors recently too and found that the switch and a poor ground connection were the problems. After making sure the two brushes on the wiper motor spindle were in good condition I directly connected the motor to a 12v supply and it ran fast and smooth.

That little cir clip messed me up for about a minute at first too. :cool:

oestlarsen
04-13-2009, 09:59 PM
Sweet - thanks guys! I finally got to the circlip - had to drill out one slotted bolt :( I'll follow the instructions on the site provided and return w/ report.
Thanks!

Bertha
04-14-2009, 09:21 AM
circlip in on the shaft on the back of the housing. You need to remove the mounting block (two slotted nuts) before you can remove it. They come apart pretty easy. The circlip is tiny, be careful not to lose it.

Ike
What color have you found to be the closest match to the original? I have been using some eastwood paint but was thinking there may be a closer match out there.

Eric W S
04-14-2009, 09:44 AM
Ike
What color have you found to be the closest match to the original? I have been using some eastwood paint but was thinking there may be a closer match out there.

The orginal's have a goldish tint to them. Couple of good threads on the UK bbs' about that aspect.

Bertha
04-14-2009, 11:36 AM
The orginal's have a goldish tint to them. Couple of good threads on the UK bbs' about that aspect.

I am familiar with what was the original color-I was looking to see if anyone found a satisfactory match with paint currently on the market.

Cosmic88
04-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Purists look away now....

I got a bit crazy and painted the housing in the same blue as the exterior. nice contrast with the freshly painted defroster cowl.

leafsprung
04-14-2009, 12:33 PM
I do have a paint I use, though I will have to look and see the type

zayante
04-15-2009, 12:21 AM
Ike - I could use a couple of circlips if you're selling them. I bought a couple of your rubber wiper seals a while back. Do you sell any other used/remanufactured parts for Lucas wipers? I've got a cracked plastic insulator/spade terminal, and the paper gaskets are gone. I'm guessing I could live without the gaskets, or put the cases together and seal it with RTV.