PDA

View Full Version : Hub socket tool help

BDM
04-13-2009, 07:28 AM
I purchased the hub socket tool from Rover's North to replace the wheel bearings and I can't seem to use it properly. It doesn't have a half inch drive in the back but instead a hole on each side. I don't have any piece of steel to insert through and turn the socket with...does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

kevin-ct
04-13-2009, 08:16 AM
A long screwdriver, 3/8 long extension, a piece of steel tube/pipe. A lug wrench from a Japanese car.

Not to be mean, but, if you cannot figure out what to use to make it work, how can you figure out how to replace the wheel bearing. :rolleyes:

Les Parker
04-13-2009, 08:29 AM
Or the special tool # :-

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-5707-tool-bar-for-rnt0002-rnt0003.aspx

BDM
04-13-2009, 08:52 AM
A long screwdriver, 3/8 long extension, a piece of steel tube/pipe. A lug wrench from a Japanese car.

Not to be mean, but, if you cannot figure out what to use to make it work, how can you figure out how to replace the wheel bearing. :rolleyes:

Nice, thanks Kevin. Unfortunately the monkey's that did the wheel bearings before did a butch job. The washer was installed backwards and the nut is completely mangled and torqued way too tight. I've used the 3/8 extension, pounded the crap out of it using a steel pipe and still nothing. I probably should have mentioned this from the beginning.

Yesterday was a little frustrating to say the least.

kevin-ct
04-13-2009, 11:33 AM
You are going to need to use a chisel to remove the nut. those damn PO’S …:mad:

It is a jam nut with a locking tab. Why do people over tighten those nuts so much?

good luck and let us know how you make out.

Kevin

BDM
04-17-2009, 10:45 PM
Or the special tool # :-

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-5707-tool-bar-for-rnt0002-rnt0003.aspx

Thank you Les. I ended up getting a breaker bar w/ a 2 1/8in socket at Sears. That sucker was really on there. On top of that, the bearings had been done with the brakes recently. Unfortunately, they didn't preload the bearings properly I think. The inside nut was very loose, which was prob why there was so much slop....anywho, problem fixed! Thanks guys.