PDA

View Full Version : looking at a III - any advice?

NickDawson
04-14-2009, 05:58 PM
Hey Guys
I've been told that that a lot of people spend the rest of their lives looking for their true auto love...
I think I've found a chance to reunite with mine and could use some advice :D

I've found a local listing that feels perfect. 1974 Series III, RHD in (reported) good mechanical condition. I would love some advice for what I should look at when I go test drive it this weekend.

I first found roversnorth (And joined the old forums) in 1996 before my first disco (94 SE ). I was in HS/college in those days and didn't have a budget for any modifications. But I did attend rallies and took that truck through some pretty extreme situations. My friends called it the "worst lemon ever" - to me, it was true love.

I'm driving a sedan these days but have always said that my dream would be to find an "old school rover" that I could use as a 4x4 and Sunday drive. Discos seem to hold an obscene value which put them out of a 3rd card price range, and most series vehicles I saw were someone's over priced problem. I drive a AWD car today and cannot imagine being without it during the occasional snow in Virginia or even on the bad roads we take to fly fish & ski. So to complete the dream - what I really want is an old rover that is as utilitarian as it is fun. I wanted to find something that was reliable enough to really use as a truck on weekends, in snow, etc but could also be a project and get me back into the the Rover world.

I've been catching up on old times and have particularly enjoyed this thread on advice for a IIa
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6342
I've also enjoyed the Rover **** here
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4702&page=2

Here are the specs for the 1974 III I'm considering

original 2.6l diesel
good paint (not sure if its original)
mild rust under the driver's door - none under passengers
no frame or body rust
hard top/ roof rack/ brush guard
RDH - (not a problem for me, in fact a plus)
stuck odometer on 99K miles (seller estimates that is close)
Seller states that there is an electrical problem that requires jumping the starting solenoid, but starts right upThey are asking $6,400

First question - is that reasonable? It seems low to me based on what I have seen. Then again, this truck is mostly original and has been used

#2 - what should I look for when I test drive?
I have the general working knowledge of engines that comes with being male, but otherwise have never done any mechanical work. I want something to learn on, but not from scratch. For instance, I think I can change that solenoid, but I intend to use this thing most weekends, so I'm not looking for a major mechanical project.

#3 - did the IIIs have locking center diffs? Sounds silly but I cannot find anything online about the transfer case on these guys

Long winded, I know but I'd love to know what this group of experts thinks about taking this truck on as a novice project?

Thanks!
-N

superstator
04-14-2009, 07:12 PM
No such thing as an original 2.6 diesel that I know of. 2.5 came along much later, but a '74 should have a 2.25. Take any pictures of the engine compartment?

NickDawson
04-14-2009, 07:34 PM
No such thing as an original 2.6 diesel that I know of. 2.5 came along much later, but a '74 should have a 2.25. Take any pictures of the engine compartment?
Thanks - glad you said that. Reviewed the ad and it says 2.5L - going to ask if its original (perhaps he rounded? :sly: )
Engine (and other) pic(s) attached

Jeff Aronson
04-14-2009, 07:38 PM
Here are some thoughts for you:

Here are the specs for the 1974 III I'm considering

* original 2.6l diesel
* good paint (not sure if its original)
* mild rust under the driver's door - none under passengers
* no frame or body rust
* hard top/ roof rack/ brush guard
* RDH - (not a problem for me, in fact a plus)
* stuck odometer on 99K miles (seller estimates that is close)
* Seller states that there is an electrical problem that requires jumping the starting solenoid, but starts right up

They are asking $6,400

In 1974, Land Rover did not make a 2.6L diesel. They did make a 2.6 L petrol, but its design is actually older than the far more common 2.25 L petrol and diesel. The 2.6 has nice torque but is not really great for long distance drives over high mileage. It appeared for only 2 years in the official US marketplace in the '60's, and Rover pulled it from this market. So either your seller's information is wrong, or it's not a Land Rover engine [someone else's diesel, which is a common swap in England], or it's a gas engine. Find out because it tells you a lot about the seller and his/her knowledge of the Rover.

The front of your car does not have a Series III grill. You have a Defender-style front radiator panel on your car, which means you might have a 2.5 diesel as the engine in that car. The reason for the different front might be that the engine required more clearance that was possible with the Series III setup? Or it just might be someone's idea of a customization?

Good paint is fun and appealing but meaningless in terms of whether a car is a "good value." There were not many choices of color for Land Rovers in 1974. The bright red of the truck in the photos is not original.

Also, the top on your vehicle has a common bodge in UK Rovers. Vehicle taxes in the UK are lower if the vehicle is "commercial." One criterion is that the rear sides must be solid, with no windows, to imply passengers in the rear. So your truck came with solid sides and after its registration, someone installed some aftermarket sliding windows.

The door frames on Series Rvers are steel; the outer skins are aluminum. Rust on the frames is not uncommon. Tne more important place to look is the post where the door hinges attach. Those are steel and they can rust.

Frames rust from the inside out. The only way to check for rust is to take a hammer and screwdriver, crawl underneath the car, and start poking hard. You cannot use a photo or the word of the seller. The bodies hardly ever rust because only the door posts and front radiator panel are steel. The rest is aluminum or galvanized capping.

The photos you've posted show what looks to be door post rust on the front. The roof rack is neat but I hope you don't have to go into parking garages with it. The brush guard will be a help if you have a lot of deer in your area [don't ask me how I know].

An odometer does not get "stuck" at a certain mileage. It is broken and not working. Land Rover speedometers can be repaired, however. The mileage is truthfully unknown, as you don't know the history of the Rover.

For example, Series III Rovers came with black door panels; this truck has none. The middle seat has been removed and you have an old Series II-A seat cushion in the photo. So it's led an interesting life, that may include more than 99,000 miles of driving.

Diesels can have very long engine lives IF they have been well maintained - regular oil, filter, fuel filter, injector changes and care. Diesels require special tools and additional knowledge. They're terrific for off road because they produce a lot of torque at low rpm. They're great for stationary applications because they do not have ignition systems like cars and can run all day on smaller amounts of fuel. That said, they're harder and more costly to repair than conventional gas engines.

Old technology diesels are noisier and rougher than the Rover gas engines. You will hear and see the difference when you drive the car.

RHD will be a problem only if you plan on passing someone, an unlikely occurrence in an old Land Rover diesel, and at toll booths, etc.

You do not want to pay for the replacement of solenoid on a diesel starter. Because diesels have 18/20:1 compression ratios compared to the Rover petrol engine at 7:1 or 8:1. their batteries and starters require more power. And the problem may be with the starter instead. I would recommend making the seller take care of this first.

#2 - what should I look for when I test drive?
I have the general working knowledge of engines that comes with being male, but otherwise have never done any mechanical work. I want something to learn on, but not from scratch. For instance, I think I can change that solenoid, but I intend to use this thing most weekends, so I'm not looking for a major mechanical project.

Then I would recommend you look for a Rover with a more conentional engine setup than this diesel. There's a reason that diesel mechanics earn more and require more training than their gas engine counterparts. If you are comfortable with repairing and maintaining a diesel, then you're more skilled than you give youself credit for.

And until you rap away at the frame, you won't know the condition of the metal that supports the car.

As for the test drive, you want the car to start quickly, stop without pulling, and without any tugs coming through the steering wheel. A diesel Land Rover will have lots of vibration. You should make certain that the car will remain in the selected gear, and not pop out. So accelerate hard and then release the accelerator suddenly; if the car pops out of gear, then you'll need a transmission repair for the bad synchromesh rings. You'll want to put the car in 4wd high range and low range; have the owner show you how.

#3 - did the IIIs have locking center diffs? Sounds silly but I cannot find anything online about the transfer case on these guys

No, Series III did not have locking differentials installed by Land Rover.

Lastly, and most importantly, Virginia is blessed with the oldest active Land Rover club in the US, the ROAV (http://www.roav.org). You absolutely, positively, want to contact them for members in the Richmond area to accompany you to look at and assess any Land Rover. They're hugely knowledgeable and friendly, and you'll be less likely to make a mistake if you get their help. Also, they're bound to know of other Rovers for sale in case this one is not right for you.

Welcome back the Land Rover community!

Jeff

NickDawson
04-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Jeff - I cannot thank you enough for your reply.
It was exactly the right amount of pragmatic realism that I needed to ground me. I've been pretty excited about this truck since I saw the ad and needed this info before I went to look at it.

I appreciate your breakdown of the seller's bullet points.

Of chief concern is the engine and front end - I want to know the history there. I'm torn between the desire to get back into Rover World and the need for a good weekend truck. Frankly maybe they are not exclusive - while I'd love a classic Rover, I'm ok with something that runs well and may not be perfect as long as it can get me to the fly fishing enclaves of VA :D

How bad would it be if the engine was a replacement? And for that matter - what about the strange front end replacement? Maybe in a few years I'll restore it to prime glory...but does it pose mechanical, off-road or other problems?

Your point on the paint is well taken - lipstick on a pig? Also the aftermarket windows are a concern- need to see how well they were sealed and installed. On the other hand the history of this truck deepens :rolleyes:

The "stuck" odometer raises a red flag for me too. Wonder if that has anything to do with a replaced engine.... will inquire.

You do not want to pay for the replacement of solenoid on a diesel starter. Because diesels have 18/20:1 compression ratios compared to the Rover petrol engine at 7:1 or 8:1. The fact that I only vaguely understand this means I may be over my head :D .... Seller is suggesting that he would charge $6,900 with the solenoid fixed. As a price point - should I take him up on that (or knock more off)? I feel like its an easy part to replace- but are they hard to find?

#2 - thanks for the test drive tips!
Been picking the brain of every diesel person I know ... keep hearing starting/stopping the engine tells a lot.

#3 - thanks for the info on the diffs

Again, this will give away how little I know about series trucks - but what was the 4wd setup on the IIIs? Is it all time 4wd, or partial? I've seen pics that show a 2nd shifter - assume thats at least high/low

Thanks again everyone - what a great community!

____
edited to add: I remember ROVA well - I need to dig up the photos from the rallies I went to with my disco. Long story short, don't cross the James River in a Disco if you arn't prepared to destroy your steering system and get pulled off a rock by a unimog... oh, and it was AWESOME!

gudjeon
04-14-2009, 08:31 PM
Howdy,

I'll throw in my 2 cents worth of advice. Looking at the pics this vehicle appears to be somewhat of a "bitsa". Judging from the corrosion of the door frames, I would be very suspect of the frame. Of course, being a bit of a mongrel, the chassis may have been repaired/replaced. Personally, there is a steep learning curve with repairing a new-to-you Rover, and I would opt for the simpler petrol model to cut your teeth on.

A Rover hybrid made with various parts is not necessarily a bad thing. This fact makes it even more important that a good Rover Whisperer person have a look at it with you. Not only do you need to make sure mods are not bodges, you will need to know the background of the differing components so you can properly carry out repairs and get the correct parts.

If it were me, I would keep looking. I have found it far easier to rebuild something that has just been ravaged by time over one ravaged by previous owner(s). Series Land Rovers are getting more difficult to find in the latter category.

Jon

Jeff Aronson
04-14-2009, 08:52 PM
You're quite welcome. We've all shared your enthusiasm for a vehicle. I can still remember "the one that got away" before I bought one of my current Series Rovers, the QE I.

How bad would it be if the engine was a replacement? And for that matter - what about the strange front end replacement? Maybe in a few years I'll restore it to prime glory...but does it pose mechanical, off-road or other problems?

It's not bad that the engine might be a replacement, but there are diesels in Rovers for which parts are very hard to source in the US. You need to know if the engine is a genuine Land Rover one [the 2.5 diesel] or another brand that is the same size. Rovers North can help you with this once you get the specific information from the seller. The other problem with the replacement is when and where it was made. If it was done in the UK, then how are you going to know much about its service history? If it was done by the seller, that would be better for you.

The front end issue only implies that the radiator needed to be moved forward, as was done on the Land Rover 90/110/Defender models, to accommodate the needs for larger engines and extra cooling. But if the seller is trying to push its originality because of its RHD, then read Jon's wose comments again about a "bitsa." If you need to source the bits in the future, it can be hard when you don't know what they are.

Your point on the paint is well taken - lipstick on a pig? Also the aftermarket windows are a concern- need to see how well they were sealed and installed.

The installation is a common thing on UK vehicles, and factory windows on Rovers can leak. To me, it was more of an indication that you are not getting a very original vehicle. If the seller implied otherwise to you, then I would say "beware."

The "stuck" odometer raises a red flag for me too. Wonder if that has anything to do with a replaced engine.... will inquire.

Maybe, but more likely it's just an indication of how the owner cared about his Rover. I've gone through 3 speedometers in the 500,000 miles on my Rover and I've always sought to repair/replace them rapidly so I can keep up with maintenance needs.

As for the price increase for a repaired solenoid, I would reject it and respectfully say that a $6,000 + Rover that does not start on the key is not ready for sale. It should be repaired and functional when you go to test drive it. A bad solenoid - assuming you have a Rover starter - is not too serious, but it may NOT be the solenoid. It might be the starter itself. Often on older vehicles, the solenoid gets "sticky" from a lack of use but equally possible is that the solenoid and starter are of the same age, and that both need replacement.

Series III Rovers had part-time 4wd. The cars either have locking front hubs, that must be turned before engaging 4wd, or they have permanent hubs that are always ready for 4ed drive engagement.

Normal operation is in 2wd, high range. If you want to engage 4wd while underway, just push down on the yellow knobbed lever. There are no 4wd drive indicator lights on a Rover. To disengage, you must stop the car, depress the clutch, pull the red lever all the way back [you'll hear a "pop" as the yellow lever disengages], and then push it all the way forward. Now you are in 2wd, high range again.

To engage 4wd low range, come to a stop, depress the clutch, pull the red lever back, and you are now in low range. You'll find that you can walk faster than the car will crawl - especially a diesel - when you're in low range. Top speed in low range is about 25 mph.

In all cases ,the gearshift operates as usual, whether you're in high range or low range.

Lastly, take Jon's advice and contact the club to find yourself a guardian angel to accompany you on looking at a Land Rover.

Best wishes,

Jeff

NickDawson
04-14-2009, 09:02 PM
WOW - thanks gang for the very detailed and helpful posts!

This thread is really helpful as I plan my test drive.

I do not want to betray any trusts - but I am going to share the correspondence below. I get the impression that most rover owners either know what they are talking about or are buying a pedigree - the note below inspires some confidence and speaks to Jeff A's points above.

However, it also underscores some of the more grounded points - not sure I can ever know the real history (and how much does that matter to me, beyond condition?). Not sure I can know the mileage on the engine (and on a diesel whats 40k give or take :D )

Yes, the 2.5L diesel is an engine swap for that truck. However, it is a Land Rover diesel engine. I am a firm believer in keeping any engine swaps within the manufacturer. This swap was performed in England, and I imported the truck from there. Note the English license plates that I kept on the truck. Diesel engines are quite desirable in these trucks due to the simplicity, low end torque, and good gas mileage. It climbs like a mountain goat! Also, the hood and grill are from a mid-80's Land Rover Defender (as is the engine). The overdrive is also an optional upgrade. With the overdrive, top speed is between 50-55mph (no speed demons here!).

Regarding the 4wd system - thanks very much again Jeff for the details. That helps a lot, particularly in terms of knowing how to test drive.

I have some Rover contacts here in Richmond that have offered to come with me, I think it will be well worth a paid lunch at the College Deli in Willimasburg and beers once home for them :D

Finally - Overdrive, what do I need to know?

Again, thanks so much guys... these posts have made me even more eager but also a more educated buyer.

leafsprung
04-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Beware the british market land rovers. I would look at as many other rovers as you can before buying.

SafeAirOne
04-14-2009, 11:28 PM
....I would opt for the simpler petrol model to cut your teeth on.

Why is a petrol-powered Series Rover simpler than a diesel? Having driven both, I find it the other way 'round. Certainly a diesel donkey...well the 2.5 anyhow...is a less-complex engine than the 2.25p. No coil, points, condensor, mechanical advance, vacuum advance, ignition timing, distributor, rotor, distributor cap, plug wires, coil wire, plugs and moisture to worry about. Give 'em air and fuel and they'll go forever (providing that you change the oil religiously).

Fear the rust, not the diesel fuel ;) .

I've always thought that this site (http://www.fourfold.org/LR_FAQ/Series/FAQ.S.look_for.html) had a pretty good checklist of things to look for when buying a Series Rover.

LaneRover
04-15-2009, 12:23 AM
Beware the british market land rovers. I would look at as many other rovers as you can before buying.

I must admit that my first thought when I viewed the pics was that the Rover was a bit of a bodge job.

Jeff Aronson
04-15-2009, 05:44 AM
Mark, "simpler" is my case doesn't refer to the number of components; you are correct that diesels have fewer "systems." They can generally go longer periods between maintenance than petrol engines [but you must be dogmatic about oil changes for longevity].

That said, diesels require some specialty tools not common in the average toolbox. When a diesel needs a part, like an injector, they're not inexpensive. And then you have to bleed the system, again :). The calibration required is higher than the average shade tree mechanic understands right off the bat.

When a diesel won't start, it's rarely something as simple as checking the points gap or a cracked distributor cap/rotor. Even if you decide the replace them all along with the plugs, you won't spend more than $50 and an hour of your leisure time. Then the car will often start running. They are relatively simple to learn and you need few tools/parts to keep them going.

There are many old diesels in regular use on older Land Rovers, and when I watch them off road, I marvel at the added capability inherent in the diesel. That said, they require an additional learnig curve on the part of the owner seeking to use them as daily drivers.

Jeff

NickDawson
04-15-2009, 06:47 AM

What are the concerns about the British market rovers? I'd think they came off the same line as the ones bound for the US - or am I mistaken?

Thanks again for the great advice guys. I think I'm still going to take a look at this one, but with a much more skeptical eye.

I'm not (yet) interested in pedigree, so if its got some mix-n-match parts I may be ok with that; provided they are in good shape and installed well, etc.

The engine swap could ultimately be a good thing - but I am worried about the stuck odo.

As for the points about diesel vs petrol - also well taken. The more I read about diesel the less I think its mechanical simplicity translates into my ability to service it. I am fortunate enough to have some skilled friends, but not sure about their comfort level with old Rover engines...

Regarding price - is it reasonable to find another series III in decent shape in that price range? $6000

Bertha
04-15-2009, 07:17 AM
It is hard to top Jeff's advice, however I will add a few small things:Stay away from RHD Frankenrovers, they are nothing but trouble. Typically RHD UK import trucks have been subjected to some rather questionable repairs over the years. The British don't look upon Land Rovers like we do here in the US. To them its a work truck and they do whatever they have to to keep the thing running. Here in the USA, the Land Rover is somewhat of a novelety, and as such is treated as a classic vehicle. 6K will never get you a really well sorted properly running driving truck with no rust. Your best bet is to hunt around or a US-spec truck with a galv frame(orig S3 frames have notoriously poor metal quality). Dont be afraid if it doesn't have a shiny paint job, the mechanicals of the truck are what can start to eat through money and sour the ownership experience really quickly. Try to buy from an enthusiast that knows Land Rovers and is selling something he loved and took care of: the advice from Jeff to contact ROAV is excellent and a great starting point for a soon to be Rover owner.

thixon
04-15-2009, 07:32 AM
What are the concerns about the British market rovers? I'd think they came off the same line as the ones bound for the US - or am I mistaken?

The issue isn't how they began life, its what happened afterward. UK imports tend to be a little rusty and crusty, and are quite often botch job frankenrovers. UK owners tend to "repair," while US owners tend to "restore." If you don't know what you're looking for, you're more likely to end up with a nightmare truck browsing the UK imports.

You've gotten good advice here. Take it all in. Look at as many as possible, and the right one will come to you sooner or later. And yes, its possible to find a fine truck in the price range you mention.

Eric W S
04-15-2009, 08:40 AM
Looks like a 6,000 mistake to me. The breakfast is from a Defender. Why? The 2.5 fits without it. The paint looks like hell. I'd be concerned about what other corners they have been cutting. Diesels are usually described as slower, but I have driven a few fresh rebuilds that were really nice.

Find another truck. The classified's here are a good place to start.

SafeAirOne
04-15-2009, 09:06 AM
The breakfast is from a Defender. Why? The 2.5 fits without it.

The 2.5 fits without the longer engine bay, but you get the benefit of the 90/110 radiator with more surface area over the SIII rad. As I found out, this is important in desert operations in loose sand and during long steep hill climbs in hot weather. Also, you get to use one of the most important components in the cooling system: the original fan shroud to maximize cooling efficiency.

The 2.5 plumbed to an SIII radiator without a shroud works, but during the above conditions, you must stop occasionally-to-frequently to let the engine cool. Ask me how I know...

EDIT: Looking at the photo, I'm pretty sure plumber's strap hangers were not originally used for upper radiator supports, though I could be wrong.

bmohan55
04-15-2009, 09:14 AM
Regarding price - is it reasonable to find another series III in decent shape in that price range? $6000[/quote]

Yes, if you look long & hard and get lucky...but perpare to add to that amount. After a long search I found my '72 S3 88 on e-bay for $6251 last October. I've put about $2,000 into it since then and now it's a good running truck. I am not much of a mechanic but with the help of this board I have been able to do all the repairs myself. I don't have anywhere near the knowledge and experiance that most on this board have but my newbie advice is to keep looking, and prepare to pay more than 6K (either at purchase or down the road in repairs) to get a trustworthy truck.

BTW, if you find a truck outside the area I could assist you in arranging very affordable transportation.

bmohan55
04-15-2009, 09:31 AM
Just noticed you are in Richmond...I'm in Chester. PM me if you would like to see my Series or if I could help you out in any way.

Tim Smith
04-15-2009, 09:32 AM
Everyone seems to be pointing you in the same direction I would. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd bet that the seller (if he's the one who imported it) is making a hefty profit on this truck. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just thought you should think about it before getting too excited.

In the UK, you could probably find a truck like this all day long for about $2000 after the dollar conversion. Shipping and importing wouldn't make up for the rest of the price. Heck if you are into right hand drive, then get yourself one of the Land Rover mags and find a couple that you like and do the math.

UK trucks tend to be farm hands that, as has been mentioned, get cobbled together every year to pass MOT. Some of them that we see can't even pass MOT and just get shipped over here because buyers don't know too much about them and buy with their heart instead of their head.

I also wouldn't put too much stock in the mileage of the truck. These things are old enough that a genuine 20,000 mile truck could be an absolute money pit if it were not cared for. The other end of the spectrum is something like Jeff's truck that although it's his daily driver with hundreds of thousands of miles on the clock, it's well maintained and probably is one of the better examples of a series truck out there.

One point that I thought should be clarified. You were asking about the center diff and I think Jeff was thinking about the front and rear diffs. While the front and rear did not come with lockers as standard, the center diff is not really a diff and once you are in four wheel drive the front and rear output shafts are locked with each other. Thus, it is highly inadvisable to drive a series truck in four wheel drive on dry pavement for extended periods. Just thought it should be mentioned.

Spend some time. Keep an eye on ebay and lrx.com as well as the forums such as the for sale section here. Ask questions. If you do get the right one, you'll have a blast.

Good luck!
:thumb-up:

galen216
04-15-2009, 09:44 AM
I'm a ROAV member in Virginia who has owned a British imported truck and a North American SIII.

Feel free to contact me with any questions you have. So far you been given good advice.

FWIW I paid about half that price for both my trucks with minimal searching.

EDIT: I am curious as to your statement that Disco's hold their value. What years were you looking at? I paid less for my Range Rover Classic than my Series. But I would sell the RRC in a heartbeat and the Series will never leave so I think you are on the right path looking at Series trucks.

MSmyth
04-15-2009, 10:24 AM
I was in a similar situation as the OP till a couple weeks ago, having had a Series experience earlier in life (didn't buy it, but I wanted to) and have been looking for the last year or so for my dream rover. After a lot of research, I ended up buying one overseas, which is being shipped within the week. I hope Jonathan doesn't mind me linking to his web site, but he has made the purchase very pain free, and has been very open about answering my questions.

Many, or most, would never buy a vehicle over the 'net, but this will be my third purchase with the previous two transactions being flawless. I've done my research (thanks to this and many other rover web resources), asked the important questions, and above all was patient in not buying till my needs were met and more importantly felt confident in the seller's integrity. I ended up getting this:

http://www.churchill-landrover.com/CHURCHILL%204x4%20stock.htm

for thousands less than other 5 door 109s I've evaluated here in the states, even including shipping. Could it still have problems? Absolutely. But it is original and unmolested, has a good maintenance record (new springs and rebuilt transmission, original paint), newer tires, and although the frame has had a couple repairs, they are reported to be sound. Jonathan Churchill has been fantastic to work with and I trust his evaluation.

Once I take posession at the Baltimore docks, I'll be able to give a first-hand report (I'm doing the importing myself). If you decide to go down this route and I can help based on my experience, just let me know.

Jeff Aronson
04-15-2009, 11:00 AM
Since Land Rover stopped exporting the 109" to the US sometime around 1967, you've taken an interesting route in getting an '81 109".

The LWB model never sold well here because of cost [around $4,000 in the 1960's]. The station wagon models are rather rare and the ex-MOD or NATO 109's came without the 5-door's seating and interior "luxuries."

Keep us informed about your importation experience and post some photos when it arrives.

Jeff

MSmyth
04-15-2009, 11:16 AM
Will do. I'm real curious about the customs procedure.

My absolute first choice would have been a 2 or 2a, but I found out early on that financially I might have to compromise and go for a Series 3 to meet my requirements... there aren't many original ones out there for what I had put aside for this project. I was looking for a weekend driver 5 door 11 or 12 seat safari, sound in all aspects but no trailer queen, 99% original, and I think I've done pretty good. Now down the road (as long as this is a good experience for me) I'll be looking for a Series 2 soft top '88 project. After all, I've got one more space open in the garage. :thumb-up:

Since Land Rover stopped exporting the 109" to the US sometime around 1967, you've taken an interesting route in getting an '81 109".

The LWB model never sold well here because of cost [around $4,000 in the 1960's]. The station wagon models are rather rare and the ex-MOD or NATO 109's came without the 5-door's seating and interior "luxuries."

Keep us informed about your importation experience and post some photos when it arrives.

Jeff

leafsprung
04-15-2009, 12:42 PM
although the frame has had a couple repairs, they are reported to be sound.

This is generally why british trucks get a bad rap. Even the good ones have generally seen serious rot in the past. If the frame has repairs, normally the firewall and t-posts will have had them as well. Their idea of whats good is much different than ours. The best rovers come from dry or salt free climates. Unfortunately england is wet AND salty and if youve ever been there you know that there are 100 ratty land rovers for every decent one. Generally speaking trucks from the western US are the best there are. CA/WA/OR/AZ/NM/TX/NV/WY/MT/CO/OK I recently pulled home a 53 that had been sitting for 20 years never washed or repainted and there wasnt a rust hole in the entire truck. And 90% of them are like that. Salt kills rovers.

NickDawson
04-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Once again let me thank everyone for their time and insight...and for crushing my dreams you heartless heartless people!

Kidding aside, I am very glad I thought to inquire here. I have learned a lot in just a few short days.

I think the frankenrover in question is probably not the right one for me - although it does fit the bill in some ways (a weekend truck to haul house / yard work supplies). It sounds like it wouldn't be a great rover experience.

I've done some research and am seeing a lot of what I had found in the past - well cared for rovers that are out of my price and stalled projects that do not run. ... although every once in a while there are diamonds in the rough.

I've also come accross Global Landrover via the Landrover Exchange site

Understanding that photos do not tell a full story, what does the group think of this listing - at least as a comp for my Frankenrover
http://www.globallandrovers.com/main/site.php?use=vehicle&Album_ID=12

For $7K shipped to Maryland (2.5 hour drive for me), if it is in decent shape, that would suggest the $6,400 III that started this thread is way over priced.

Anyone have experience buying a rover site unseen? Dont think I'm entertaining that idea, but....maybe... :D

edited to add - also found this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-Rover-SERIES-III-1978-LAND-ROVER-SERIES-III-TWO-DOOR-GENERAL_W0QQitemZ200331056811QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS _Cars_Trucks?hash=item200331056811&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A317|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318) but (despite the language in the ad) the seller wants to keep it on auction so I have no idea what the final price will be. If it were to say at the $9K range, it also looks in much better shape

Eric W S
04-15-2009, 01:33 PM
Global is run by a gent by the name of Jullian. He seems like a nice guy. Posts on d-90.com and on Discoweb.org.

Give Doug? a call. He has used Jullian to source some trucks (I think). Might be interested in finding the right truck for you via Jullian. Give him a call.

Slow down and do more research. Googling Land Rovers for sale and surfing ebay can be an expensive mistake.

MSmyth
04-15-2009, 01:37 PM
I don't disagree with what you're saying, and believe me when I say this is not the first UK or US prospect I've looked at. When you dig deep, or at least as deep as you can with pics/videos, other issues (not just rust) just seem to magically pop up on most Rovers listed for sale. This one was the exception. Looking at it pessimistically, for what I paid ($5500 plus shipping) and overall condition I can afford to repair/replace the frame later if needed, although I don't think that will be necessary. There have been two weld repairs to the frame and a spot repair to the bulkhead, waxoyled recently but could use a refresh, no rust on post or door frames. The 2nd owner out of 3 (had it most of its life) was a Rover dealer who had it on display, hence what I hope is the reason rust isn't an issue.

Hopefully after a good waxoyl I'll be good for the foreseeable future, and have a good platform to cut my Landy "teeth"!

This is generally why british trucks get a bad rap. Even the good ones have generally seen serious rot in the past. If the frame has repairs, normally the firewall and t-posts will have had them as well. Their idea of whats good is much different than ours. The best rovers come from dry or salt free climates. Unfortunately england is wet AND salty and if youve ever been there you know that there are 100 ratty land rovers for every decent one. Generally speaking trucks from the western US are the best there are. CA/WA/OR/AZ/NM/TX/NV/WY/MT/CO/OK I recently pulled home a 53 that had been sitting for 20 years never washed or repainted and there wasnt a rust hole in the entire truck. And 90% of them are like that. Salt kills rovers.

leafsprung
04-15-2009, 04:11 PM
Nick,
Keep looking. The UK trucks really are sad. If you are willing to ship from england, you ought to be willing to ship from the west coast (or drive it home). There is a local 88 (shown below) with soft top and hard top thats pretty decent for 6K OBO on the LRX site. I would be willing to look at it for you. There is also a 109 5 door for 8400 in the local club newsletter that seems like a good deal. Guys email is anfeildrovers@msn.com

http://www.landroverexchange.com/photos/9040311257297.jpg