PDA

View Full Version : Starter Problems

BGGB
04-15-2009, 11:04 PM
A couple of weeks ago i got in my 65 turned the key and pushed the starter button, it turned over and i thought it would fire so let off but it didn't fire. on the second try the button resulted in nothing not any click of engage of any kind. i tried a screwdriver across the back of the push botton but just got sparks. is my starter toast or could it be something else...do they usually go just like that? has anyone had experience with those aftermarket high torque starters? Thats everyone for your help

StX_Rovers
04-18-2009, 07:49 AM
Make sure that the pinion gear is not jammed. I assume it is a petrol? Can you turn the engine over with the hand crank? I once hit the starter button in my wife's 88 and somehow the light spring that is part of the pinion somehow jammed the gear forward and it was locked up solid. Called her and told her I would be late to pick her up. I dropped the starter out, used the hand crank and went to pick her up.

Before spending any money on a different starter pull yours and see what is up. If when you pull it out the starter pinion is jammed back, close to the body of the starter, rather than forward, away from the body of the starter, you need to do a bit of disassembly. The spring that was the culprit in our case is a light spring around the shaft coming out of the body of the starter, not the big heavy spring at the end.

You should not need a high torque starter for a 2.25 petrol. Now, the high compression 383 in our 70 Road Runner with header clearance issues, that does need a modern high torque starter.