PDA

View Full Version : grinding while shifting

Alk-3
04-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Hey Everyone, I was lucky enough to score a 67 IIa 88" from a forum member, and am absolutely loving it!
I do have a question regarding shifting gears:
I understand this truck has synchos between 2nd and 3rd, and between 3rd and 4th. I can double clutch well enough, and with a bit of timing can get it to go from first to second real smooth without any trouble, but I have a hard time getting it into first from a stand still.

when I try to put it into first I get a bunch of grinding. I can get it into gear, and find if I just do a quick hard movement it goes into gear without too much trouble, but there is definitely some grinding otherwise.
I have another vehicle without synchros that does not behave this way, and I
wonder if I'm doing something wrong, or if this is normal.

If I need to be more descriptive I will do my best. Thanks in advance!!

Cosmic88
04-16-2009, 09:40 PM
Is your idle kinda high? Not that this will solve any potential problems and it definitely makes you a bit slower off the line but... From a dead stop, try shifting into 3rd or 4th and then (keeping clutch depressed) go from fourth (or third) into first. The offending gears should be aligned at that point and it should slip into first with no prob.

Alk-3
04-16-2009, 09:51 PM
I keep the idle as low as possible, and really, it's very low, so I don't think that's the problem.
I do use the 3rd gear to mesh up the gears when I have time, and that does help, but if I don't do that, it grinds every time. Is this to be expected?

gudjeon
04-16-2009, 10:05 PM
If you are having a hard time getting it into first from a standstill, your clutch may not be releasing completely. Around town on the flat, I rarely use first gear, and shift back into second once I stop at a light/intersection. If shifting into gear at idle, I put it into third to stop the gears from spinning and then put it into second or first to start back out. This spinning of the internal gets even more pronounce when the gear oil gets hot. I could double clutch, but this way I never grind the gears. I save the double clutching for slower moving bits when I am in the back country.:thumb-up:

Jeff Aronson
04-17-2009, 07:34 AM
I use the same technique of shifting into 3rd before I try and go into 1rst at a stop. That permits a shift without grinding.

You may want to crawl underneath the car and check the dimensions around your slave cylinder [right side of transmission tunnel]. There's a rod that goes from the cylinder upwards towards the clutch arm. Take a compass or set of calipers and measure the distance between the two visible locknuts. If they're too close, you're not going to have enough clutch action to properly release the clutch, and you'll get grinding.

I don't have my Haynes Manual with me so I can't provide the correct information, but my memory says it's at least a couple of inches. Rovers North will have the information on hand or a Forum member might have it right in front of them.

Jeff

scott
04-17-2009, 12:49 PM
when mine was running and it will again, i never used 1st unless i am crawling down/up some nasty dirt trail. 1st is just to low for me in town. when i did use it on anything but a dead stop moving up a steep grade, i'd find myself shifting into second in seconds

bobzinak
04-17-2009, 02:36 PM
You have to make sure that your cluth is totally disengaging..If you don't have positraction jack up one rear wheel start your rover put it in first hold clutch in..if your rear wheel is spinning your clutch is not disengaging..You can adjust the slave cyl. or the master cyl rods to make sure they are proprerly working. no slack in the rods..especially the master.cyl.. bobzinak..

gudjeon
04-18-2009, 10:18 PM
To check clutch slave travel:

Pull boot down from the slave.
Have assistant fully depress the clutch.
Distance between the bottom of the slave's piston and the slave's snap ring should be 1/8".
If not, adjustment is needed.

:thumb-up:

oldredbugeye
04-19-2009, 02:40 AM
another vote for shifting into 3rd first..i've had my bugeye for close to 20 years now..when it was bought ..the gearbox and transfer case was freshly
rebuilt..and thats what i was told..and its always worked for me..mine you have to double clutch between first and second going up thru the gears..and between 3rd and 2nd and 1st coming down thru the gears..after awhile you'll either get it or wont..i've got so i can even double into 1st without thinking

Bill

Alk-3
04-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. Double clutching has never been an issue for me, so I do that between 1st and 2nd. Putting it in third before jumping into first is easy enough, and i'm already used to it. If i'm downshifting into 1st while stopping, I just double clutch out of second and into first.
I will spend some time this week checking out the clutch as suggested above.

Rineheitzgabot
04-20-2009, 06:23 AM
Alk-3:

This problem that you describe seems to be the exact problem that I had when I first got my series--neutral to first, it would not go without undue force. Once you bleed it and troubleshoot it, let is know how it turns out.

Hate to say it, but I had to replace the master cylinder in order to eliminate the problem. Hope this is easier for you.