PDA

View Full Version : wheel studs come out with lug nut!!!??

macgyver97701
04-18-2009, 07:13 PM
I just parked it in the garage after about 20 mile drive and notice 2 of the lug nut were missing. upon a closser look i noticed the studs were gone too.

I took the wheel off (for a better look) and 2 out of the 3 left came out with the stud

gudjeon
04-18-2009, 10:12 PM
Yeah this happens. I have salvaged these by taking the stud and attached offending nut and hammer it along the flats on an anvil or suitable solid surface. This will loosen the rust so you can get the nut removed from the stud, along with generous amounts of penetrating oil. I have found it best to reinstall the stud is with the hub off. The short thread of the stud can be cleaned up with a triangular file due to the "peening" or divit punched into the back side of the stud/hub.

Thread these back in using a good narrow jawed vise grip with permanent locktite. Peen/divit the reverse side back up again. Some never-seize paste on the lug will help this from happening again.

You can alternatively use a kit to install a pressed in lug.:thumb-up:

Linus Tremaine
04-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Although its too late for this, you also need to make sure that you try to prevent this from happening. Never let anyone use an air impact gun to tighten your lug nuts. They should all be hand torqued to prevent over tightening. Most tire shops do not have a listing for series land rover in their torque tables (if they bother to look at all) and you can end up having your lug nuts on way too tight. Over time, this action will pull your studs out of their threads. Later series trucks have studs that are pressed in from the back. They dont seem to suffer from this problem.

The exact torque value is debatable. I dont think its actually listed anywhere. I use 85 ft/lbs. I understand that toyota land cruisers use something around 120. So, if someone was trying to look up a torque value, they may use that as a guide. That would be much too tight. I have watched a mechanic pull a stud out of my car with an impact gun. Make sure you dont let anyone touch your lug nuts without a properly educating them.