PDA

View Full Version : series IIa clutch issue

bbrigman
04-19-2009, 07:51 PM
I had a great time at the Uwharrie Safari. Enjoyed meeting some of you. My 65 IIa station wagon was a champ, and other than a rear door that seems to have ended up a little malaligned after our first ever trail ride, it survived without a hitch.
Back home in Durham tonight though, it was a different story. I had some grinding getting the car into 1st for a few stop and goes, now I can't engage the clutch at all. I can only depress the clutch about an inch and it reaches a hard endpoint. I made it home raw dogging it into 1st and 2nd.
I assume that this is a linkage or master/slave cylinder issue.
Any thoughts?
I appreciate the help.
Thanks
Brian

adkrover
04-20-2009, 07:32 AM
I would try opening the bleed valve on the slave and see if you can pump fluid through it. If not, you could have a bad rubber line or other blockage. Has there been any recent work on the clutch system?

Tim Smith
04-20-2009, 08:16 AM
Could simply be the slave cylinder calling it a day. It's an easy replacement.

Also, on a IIA I believe you have a common reservoir. The clutch picks up higher so when the clutch goes, it's a warning that you could be leaking fluid from elsewhere in the hydraulics. If the clutch system looks fine, but you are low in the reservoir then you should start inspecting the brake system.

Tim Smith
04-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Revising my earlier statement. I misread your post and thought the peddle was only getting pressure at the bottom of it's swing.

Now I'm wondering if your flex line isn't beginning to fail, causing a jam in the line due to the interior collapsing.

scott
04-20-2009, 03:06 PM
i had this issue right after replacing my m/c. i mal-adjusted it and the pressure was not bleeding off after letting off the clutch. so with every use of the clutch on my test drive the pedal got harder and harder to depress and it was slow to disengage. adventually the flex line blew hydraulic fluid all over my bud's leg, the trany cover was off.

oldredbugeye
04-21-2009, 07:41 AM
as scott said..on the operating rod to the clutch..there is 2 nuts..you need a little play here..also you guys know that you can just crack the bleeder on your slave cylinder a little..and as long as you keep the reservoir full it will bleed on its own..this comes in handy when your alone

Bill

bbrigman
04-21-2009, 06:23 PM
Opening the bleeder on the slave loosened the pedal, indicating to me that the problem was in the slave or in the linkage distal to the slave. After removing the slave, the linkage moved easily. So... new slave on the way.
Thanks
Brian

adkrover
04-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Brian,

When replacing the slave, pay close attention to the linkage adjustment. Too much and the clutch will slip (and the throwout bearing will wear). Not enough and you won't be able to fully dissengage the the clutch and the tranny will grind a bit while shifting. Not to mention cause undue wear on the clutch plate. Do you have a book with proper instructions? Let us know how it turns out.