PDA

View Full Version : Brazing on a Trans Mount?

JackIIA
04-20-2009, 09:58 AM
Anyone seen (what looks to me) as brazing on a transmission to chassis mount? I media blasted the mounts and see this material in the points noted in the attached photos. This would interfere with drainage to my mind. And I'm curious if this is factory or enthusiast added.

If it's not required, I will cold chisel it out.

Thanks

greenmeanie
04-20-2009, 10:25 AM
I just cleaned up the ones for my 67 6 pot and those holes are open. This may seem stupid but are you absolutely sure it is braze? On mine that whole section had some nasty accretion consisting of mud/oil and whatever else that was baked hard enough that a wire wheel wouldn't shift it. It came out with a drill and when it broke up it was just crud.

JackIIA
04-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Not stupid at all. I hadn't thought of that given it's hardened consistency. It looks to me like brazing, given the color (I can't get better focus with my cheap camera). I've seen alittle other brazing on rover parts, so this is what I guessed it must be. That it was used as filler. I will give it some exploratory taps.

JackIIA
04-20-2009, 11:00 AM
Unreal.

Yes, it IS crud. Basically shattered with a cold chisel and has a crystal like consistency mixed with rust.

Thanks for your timely advice, it was hanging in my 'painting booth' with other parts about to be primed. When I checked for responses.

jp-
04-20-2009, 12:39 PM
It is welding slag. All of the welds were done with stick welders. They leave a glass like slag coating that must be chipped off. The factory was very good about removing it, but they never get it all. It showed up in several areas after I had my first chassis hot dip galvanized. Even the galvanizing cannot remove it, due to it's glass like state.

JackIIA
04-20-2009, 02:13 PM
Thxs JP.